Saxo Cambelt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chrisbuckley1
My Cars:

Saxo Cambelt

Post by chrisbuckley1 »

Can the cam belt only be tensioned by a Citroen dealer, or is there an alternative way or tool that can be bought. Seems to apply to a number of Citroen / Peugeots
Chris
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Chris,
I can only speak from the point of view of a BX owner, but in that case it apparently can be done DIY with success on the 8 valve model; I own a 16 valve & therein lies another story. Citroen/Peugeot dealers use a thing called a "Seemtronic 87" which is some kind of electronic device for checking the tension. This is understandable as with the 16V being twin cam, the valve timing is critical. Haynes even tells you the sequence to which the belt has to be placed over the various cogs when fitting the belt, so I would guess that if your car has 16 valve/twin cam set up, it would be strongly advisable that the Cit dealer either fits, or at least checks the belt tension if you fit it yourself. Option #2 is if Andyspares tells us how much a "Seemtronic 87" costs, to see if it is feasible to have as part of a DIY tool kit; something I doubt very much. Hope this is some help.
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Can the cam belt only be tensioned by a Citroen dealer, or is there an alternative way or tool that can be bought. Seems to apply to a number of Citroen / Peugeots
Chris
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>