Any advice please ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hipster

Any advice please ?

Post by Hipster »

I was driving my Citroen xantia 2.0 turbo diesel on the M25 and it just died. I don't recall a bang or smoke, it just lost all power. It turns over but will not start. A massive pool of oil formed underneath it so something has gone. It's only done 180 k which is low for a diesel. Don't know what to do.
Rob
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Any advice please ?

Post by CitroJim »

Rob, something appears to have let go in a big way if there's a pool of oil underneath...

Can you identify the source of the oil?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

you can't see where the oil is from. It's obviously fired out und pressure and has coated everything then dripped off into a pool underneath afterwards.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Rob, does the engine sound normal when it's turning over on the starter or does it sound a bit 'chuffy' and possibly turning over rather faster than normal...

One check you must do is the cambelt. Slip off the belt covers and turn the engine over and check the cam and injection pump sprockets turn as expected. If they do, check the timing by pinning the cam and crank as you may have stripped teeth from the belt and as a result the timing is now very awry...

If the belt has broken or stripped teeth it's not often fatal as the HDi engine (which I make a big assumption your engine is) breaks rockers rather than bends valves when a cambelt lets go.

The earlier 1.9TD usually suffers a broken cam and broken cam caps which effectively writes off the head. The 2.1TD is the same as the HDi in that rockers break. Rockers are easy enough to replace...

No diesel if it's suffered a belt slip will start as timing is very critical...

So, check the belt and timing Rob and then get back to us...

It'll also help if you can positively identify the engine for us too...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

CitroJim wrote: The 2.1TD is the same as the HDi in that rockers break. Rockers are easy enough to replace...
The HDi is actually the same as the 2.1 TD :wink: As the HDi replaced the 2.1 originally, so they followed the 2.1 idea of rocker breakage rather then outright engine destroyment... :-D :-D :-D

Could the sump plug possibly of dropped out of the plug threads have been stripped from over tightenging??

of course untill we know what engine it is, it will be harder to tell, but I think any engine thats lost oil while in motion wont be any good afterwards sadly.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

It is an hdi turbo diesel. Sump plug not the problem. Mechanic I know is thinking it could be from turbo feed ???
Thing is I though these diesel engines went on for 300 - 400 K
Thanks
Rob
citroenxm wrote:
CitroJim wrote: The 2.1TD is the same as the HDi in that rockers break. Rockers are easy enough to replace...
The HDi is actually the same as the 2.1 TD :wink: As the HDi replaced the 2.1 originally, so they followed the 2.1 idea of rocker breakage rather then outright engine destroyment... :-D :-D :-D

Could the sump plug possibly of dropped out of the plug threads have been stripped from over tightenging??

of course untill we know what engine it is, it will be harder to tell, but I think any engine thats lost oil while in motion wont be any good afterwards sadly.
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

Cam belt has no gone Jim
It is an hdi turbo diesel. Mechanic I know is thinking it could be from turbo feed ???
Thing is I though these diesel engines went on for 300 - 400 K
Thanks
Rob
Rob, does the engine sound normal when it's turning over on the starter or does it sound a bit 'chuffy' and possibly turning over rather faster than normal...

One check you must do is the cambelt. Slip off the belt covers and turn the engine over and check the cam and injection pump sprockets turn as expected. If they do, check the timing by pinning the cam and crank as you may have stripped teeth from the belt and as a result the timing is now very awry...

If the belt has broken or stripped teeth it's not often fatal as the HDi engine (which I make a big assumption your engine is) breaks rockers rather than bends valves when a cambelt lets go.

The earlier 1.9TD usually suffers a broken cam and broken cam caps which effectively writes off the head. The 2.1TD is the same as the HDi in that rockers break. Rockers are easy enough to replace...

No diesel if it's suffered a belt slip will start as timing is very critical...

So, check the belt and timing Rob and then get back to us...

It'll also help if you can positively identify the engine for us too...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good to hear the cambelt is OK Rob :-D

Could well be the turbo has let go through loss of lubrication but it should not cause the engine not to start even though it'll run badly unless the turbo has broken up and filled the cylinders with swarf and debris and caused a massive loss of compression...

More investigation needed Rob...
Jim

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

It sounds like its shear bad luck.. :(

These 8v units are VERY Strong... I broke a 288k Xantia, which had a good block and turbo...

My Own HDI Exclusive has just turned 240k and is sound as a nut!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto