Xantia HDi Estate steering, brake & ride problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rosetti

Xantia HDi Estate steering, brake & ride problem

Post by Rosetti »

First of all I'll apologise in advance for my lack of 'Forum's' knowledge & etiquette and my poor mechanical knowledge in case I've logged this request for help in the wrong place or describe the problem badly.....

I bought a 2001 Xantia Hdi LX 90bhp Estate a few weeks ago. I've had GSA, BX, XM and Xantia's in the past and initially all appeared well with this car. The hydraulics appeared sound, rising as required, brakes and steering were responsive with no apparent leaks. However, last week, having covered only 150 miles and on a hospital visit as I entered the car park I got the red STOP sign on the dash and parked the car. Unfortunately I didn't look to see what other lights were on..... The steering at this point was OK.... 3 hours later I returned to the car to find a pool of green LHM oil on the ground. I put the key in the ignition, STOP light on & no movement in the steering. On advice given by my garage I got some LHM & put in 1.5ltrs to bring float between the lines and limped to the garage.

The garage said it was a leak on the corroded pipes leading to the power steering unit. - The removed pipes were about 2 foot long with a spaghetti junction shape (Sorry, best I could come up with).. Since repair, (Innediately on leaving the garage) the steering is very bad. When stationary with the engine on and turned on full lock the steering is vibrating / shaking very very badly. There is a growling type noise on the movement. When not on full lock it operates, but not ideal. The brakes are shuddering even at slow speeds, though it is not heavy shuddering. The car is very bouncy and difficult to handle and lastly the hydraulic rise will not operate at full height, with the front of the car settling down very slowly when ignition switched off....

I know that's a lot of stuff, but the car is going back to the garage next week and I'd like to be a little wiser as to what might have happened / gone wrong when the pipes to the power steering were replaced... Any advice greatly appreciated.
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Xantia HDi Estate steering, brake & ride problem

Post by citronut »

hi Rosetti and welcome

were are you located

first thing to do is with the car on level ground, put the height lever to the highest setting wait for the car to stop rising, then check the citro blood level indicator on the tank is between the two red bands,
also at this stage is the STOP lamp on, if it is or the car does not rise fully top up the level a bit more till the indicator is between the two red bands,

once your happy it has enough citro blood and with the engine running turn the steering hard lock to lock a few times, then re/check the cito blood level again,

if this does not sort it, with the engine running open the 12mm bleed valve on the front of the regulator, and hold the revs at around 2.500rpm for around two min's, then shut the bleed valve,

then report back
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello Rosetti, and welcome to the forum.

If you do as Malcolm says, you should find that the problem will clear up. The problem is (almost certainly) due to air in the system. The only thing I would add to Malcolms' advice is (once the steering and suspension issues have gone) to bleed the brakes.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I wonder if they've replaced the PAS feed pipe which is part rubber / part metal with a solid line? The rubber part absorbs the pressure spikes from the pump, and may well give the symptoms you describe (for the steering at least) if it's missing.
Richard W
Rosetti

Post by Rosetti »

Hi Thanks for all that. I'm in Newcastle upon Tyne... Although when I bought the car the suspension rose and settled as it should, since the repair work it won't go to full height it just stays put. I'll certainly give the advice a go tomorrow, but if it won't rise I'll be reliant on the garage. As for how they've repaired the pipe I'm not sure, I'll have to ask, but I'm certain it was metal parts, but also sure that they discussed fitting some kind of joint (???) to make everything compatible. What exactly that means I'm not sure, I'll have to ask.... Sorry if I sound so ignorant, I'm just not mechanically minded enough, but I greatly appreciate the advice and I will stand in front of the mechanic on Tuesday coming and try and get the information from him that I may need.... Thanks to all
neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

If you're in Newcastle... top tip would be to take it to Michael Bonello at Bonello Auto Services, on Stepney Bank (head towards Byker Bridge on New Bridge St, turn right immediately before Tanner's Arms pub and then immediately left, down the bank behind the pub - the garage is 50m on your right)

The man's a genius, and although he also restores Alfas, is a Citroen guy through and through. He's a nice bloke, completely honest and genuinely expert on hydraulic Cits. He's also got a particular soft spot for Xantias.

Even if you don't need him this time, I'd recommend seeking him out now, for when you do!

He's on 0191 2616430. I have no connection with him other than as an extremely satisfied customer, with friends who are also customers. mention Neil and the red Xantia estate (he's just fixed my ABS and changed the air mass meter).

Hope that helps!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Rosetti

Post by Rosetti »

Thanks Neil, I might just give him a ring... My garage is really good, but don't think he's up on Citroens. Don't think he'd mind me saying that. He did mention of another Newcastle garage in the West End I think by the name of French Auto's or French Cars.... I know Stepney Bank pretty well, used to work in Byker and no problems getting over there so thanks for the info.