Really dumb question!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

abs66

Really dumb question!

Post by abs66 »

Hi guys really dumb question coming up.
I'm just the process of wiring up my taxi radio and it needs a direct connection to the battery.
Positive side is no problem as the quick release clamp has a nut on the bracket to connect to. The negative however does not. I'm not happy about clamping a wire down the side of the clamp and terminal but it's looking like my only option at the moment untill I can source a clamp with accessories points on it on Monday.
My question is, do you think this would be ok for a few days?
Cheers
Pete
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: Really dumb question!

Post by Ben82 »

Not an expert, but I think battery is the "preferable" option, and any other ground point would suffice (pretty much any metal within the engine bay - if you have a volt meter, you can check whether any point is a grounding point by using the red lead to battery positive and the black one to anywhere you think is suitable, get ~12V and you're on the right spot) :)
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Since the car is negative grounded you could attach the negative lead to almost any metal part on the car and still have a direct connection to the battery. There should be a common ground point connected to the battery somewhere which may offer a more convenient place to connect your lead.

(Edit: like what Ben said!)

But so long as the battery clamp is done up tight enough not to come loose then you should be ok.

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
abs66

Post by abs66 »

Hi Ben thanks for the reply.
I'm told by many people that direct connection to the battery terminal is best with these new data heads to avoid corruption of the signal.
My Picasso battery is under the passenger seat so us clean and dry. Its the quick release clamp that is giving me a problem. I have test fitted a wire using the clamp to hold it tight to the terminal and it seems sturdy. However I would have preferred to connect via a bolt and nut arrangement. I'm in a quandary as to whether it will be ok for a few days until I can get an auto sparks to put on a different clamp.
Sorry to ramble.
Cheers
Pete
abs66

Post by abs66 »

I'm just investigating the seat bracket /base also looking at the battery clamp bar too.
abs66

Post by abs66 »

Update
I bottled it with regards to the direct connection to the negative terminal and found a suitable earth point near the battery which gave a good strong signal on the meters continuity beep so will see how that goes.
Cheers for the suggestions guys, much appreciated.
Cheers
Pete