Rear LHM leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Rear LHM leak

Post by RichardW »

Combination thread created in handy hints and tips http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 11&t=44218
Richard W
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

Good thread Richard .. well done!!
As you say this can only become more common as the cars age. I'm sure this will give a lot of owners the detail to tackle this themselves.
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent idea for a test rig Richard :-D I did think of using my sphere tester but about the best I'll get out of it is about 60 bars whereas with the hydraulic press the world is my oyster..

The two cylinders Neil has donated arrived today :-D That was excellent service from the post office and also had a copy of the Northumberland Gazette to enjoy reading... The cylinders came wrapped in it.. :)

Neil, thanks ever so and I'll report progress in due course...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Jim
wont you sphere tester pump the ram up to at least what it normally runs at ,
thats if you have a big enough winding handle
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

True Malcolm but pumping it up in the press may more accurately reflect what happens when the wheel hits a bump and there's a surge of pressure. I imagine that if it's going to leak that’s when it will happen...

I can do both...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Happy to help. Not sure which issue of the Northumberland Gazette I used. Maybe the one with the 106 year old from Bamburgh who attributed her long life to "a teaspoon of whisky in her morning tea every day".

For those unfamiliar with Northumberland this is Bamburgh-its out the right window as you travel from Newcastle to Edinburgh on the east coast main line, but its far better to have a leisurley drive right up to it and walk for miles on the deserted beaches and drink in the beauty and the solitude. Go a bit further South and drink in something else at the Ship Inn at Low Newton by the Sea-but dont park in the National Trust Car park-go to Embleton and work up a thirst with a walk along the beach-its an absolutely classic thing to do in Northumberland. :) Add a lively labrador...it doesn't get much better!

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I really should get myself up there for a look around. Furthest I have been was Alnwick, at midnight, looking for Aurora Borealissess but they weren't playing out that night :(

Only lived here 33 years, mustn't rush these things.
c.morewood
Donor 2023

Post by c.morewood »

The latest in the Saga... i must have done something wrong to someone somewhere... or is it just 2013? Unlucky for some?

I was trying to discover why she wouldn't rest at the nominal mid position. Only fully up or down.
I took Simon's (Mandrake) advice and checked out the front dog legs and lubricated them.. only to find on closer inspection that the dog leg complete with ball joint had separated from the height adjuster.. so I was left with a pin sticking out of the dog leg ball and a hole where the pin should 've gone.
http://s120.photobucket.com/user/cmorew ... 0.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Since I didn't have a lot of time, I decided to put a small cable tie round the end of the dog leg and another around the adjuster and loop them together to try to keep the pin in position, till the replacement arrives.. It seemed to work and a few citaerobics later, I was satisfied that it would hold for the 40 mile journey later in the day.
Well I moved the car to clear everything up underneath only to find a pool of oil on the ground.. and yes you guessed it the other cylinder has let go in exactly the same way.
So i guess the warning is to members Be Prepared... if one goes .. the other is on its way out too.

I guess there might have been a bit more strain on it if the repaired cylinder isn't working as it should but obviously it was badly corroded as well.

One good thing came out of it .....Jim you'll have another cylinder to work on shortly. :)

I just hope this might be an end to my run of bad luck :(
Chris
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Bad luck Chris... :(

At least you know what you are facing getting it adrift.... #-o
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I've had exactly the same thing happen to a front height corrector Chris. On an Activa and that truly was a test of fortitude as I needed to do the job and it was done in sub-zero temperatures laying on concrete :twisted:

The Activa is hardest so yours should not be too bad at all. Weather and space will both be on your side a little I trust but I do feel for you - it has been a bit of a game :(

Once the corrector is out it's easily repairable with a spot of weld to the ball shank. It's only riveted in and it's the riveting that fails.

Neil, that picture is something else :-D It's really lovely and very atmospheric. I've not bee quite that far north either - in fact the furthest north I've ever been is about 20 miles beyond Steve's place...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Thanks Jim and Steve pleased you like the pic, but apologies to Chris as I dont want to turn the thread into an advert for the Northumberland Tourist Board :)

I guess I have got away with the gratuitous picture of Bamburgh Castle on the grounds that both Chris and Richard could possibly do with a bit of calmness and serenity.

I know speaking personally, when the frustrations of long fruitless hours spent working on the car begin to take their toll, a theraputic walk with a lively labrador can help :)

regards

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Chris
it could be to do with were the moooooon is,

no really the other one would have let go sooner or later, but i think every time you put the car fully up on its highest setting this puts more strain/force on the cylinders, as it pimps them up to there maximum,

hope you dont suffer like the first time round
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
c.morewood
Donor 2023

Post by c.morewood »

I've got 2 other cylinders and a front height corrector arriving next week .. so hopefully ......
Its just a shame the other cylinder couldn't have lasted out that long.

Jim I'll try that spot weld and then I'll have a spare hopefully.
Do you want my 2 cylinders as spares/repair or should I get the 1 repaired and hold them for anyone with a similar problem?

Neil
Thanks for the beautiful picture.. and the previous advice.. no need to be sorry.

Chris
Chris
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

c.morewood
Donor 2023

Post by c.morewood »

Quick update on using a puller to remove the suspension pin..It didn't work for me.
I thought it was working as the pin appeared to be very slowly emerging from its lair.. but it seems that the ring was winding one from one end and unwinding from the other giving the appearance of it working and the pin coming out. So tomorrow morning I'm going to try a new nail punch or two and if that doesn't work, it'll be the arm off as you suggested Richard.
Chris
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I tried removing the pins on the subframe I have growing in my garden on Saturday Chris and did not even begin to succeed. I tried pulling via the loops in the clips and saw the same as you in that they just started to unwind...

Does the pin hole go right through the arm socket or is the hole into which the pin fits blind? Although there's plenty of rust around my scrap frame I could see no corresponding hole on the other side of where the pin enters the arm.
Jim