What colour should the oil be on a dipstick?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: What colour should the oil be on a dipstick?

Post by Ben82 »

Mandrake wrote:
Ben82 wrote:
evoke wrote:I, too, think that the engine oil wasn't changed so I will ask the Citroen dealer to see if the engine oil they drain out looks less than a week old. I suspect it will be old oil. I won't be returning to this indie.
For the cost of getting Citroen to do it, you could probably source all the tools, oil etc, do it yourself, and use the money you save to take the family out for a meal :lol: :)
More importantly you would know the job was done properly, and in fact had even been done at all... :roll:

Oil change and filter is bread and butter DIY work, no need to let the shysters charge you for doing it...
Indeed, has kinda forced me into realising over here that with the costs even that the indys charge, I can do a lot more on the car for the money, and in some cases, potentially use better parts.

I am actually starting to think that if I did go for another 2nd hand car at some stage, I would prefer to see records from someone buying the bits etc, rather than just having a stamped book from a dealer/indy. Especially if there is years of it. That's probably very rare here, and probably wouldn't be classed as a "highlight" to the joe public here.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It can potentially tell you a lot about how deep they dug; when you see receipts for things like oil pump chains and aux belt idlers you've an idea that the owner was fairly attentive to the motor inside and out. Also, looking for breaker's marks on pieces (eg, starter or swing arm) is another telltale of service attitudes.