What colour should the oil be on a dipstick?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

evoke

What colour should the oil be on a dipstick?

Post by evoke »

I had a bit of work done on my C5 last week (clutch and DMF, gearbox oil) at an independent garage. I was also told that the engine oil was changed. However, i'm a bit sceptical as the dipstick showed sooty black oil when I checked it a couple of days ago. I called the workshop and the owner told me that was normal on a diesel car as the oil turns to sludge straight away.

Is he correct? I've always had clean, yellow-coloured engine oil on the dipstick straight after an oil change. Just to be safe i've asked my local Citroen dealer to carry out a minor service when they fix my bonnet release mechanism issue next so I get new engine oil and a new filter.
2008 Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: What colour should the oil be on a dipstick?

Post by Peter.N. »

It certainly shouldn't turn to sludge but it will discolour very quickly because it is a high detergent oil designed to keep the engine clean and diesels do produce a fair amount of soot. If its only been changed within the last few miles it shouldn't be completely black but it does discolour very quickly. If you rub it between you fingers you should be able to wipe it off, if it stains I would be suspicious.

Peter
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Depends how you used the car and the mileage you done between him changing it and you lifting the dipstick. Also engine condition . You get to know your own car and the look of the oil. Old oil is totally black with no hint of brown.
Best time to check it is when you pick the car up............even better is to change it yourself :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

evoke wrote:I had a bit of work done on my C5 last week (clutch and DMF, gearbox oil) at an independent garage. I was also told that the engine oil was changed. However, i'm a bit sceptical as the dipstick showed sooty black oil when I checked it a couple of days ago. I called the workshop and the owner told me that was normal on a diesel car as the oil turns to sludge straight away.

Is he correct? I've always had clean, yellow-coloured engine oil on the dipstick straight after an oil change. Just to be safe i've asked my local Citroen dealer to carry out a minor service when they fix my bonnet release mechanism issue next so I get new engine oil and a new filter.
I put new oil in the Berlingo myself, and it was dirty again after a 20 mile drive before I checked it again..
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Yep, almost impossible to tell by colour alone after just a few miles. Realistically, when the oil is changed, the garage will run the engine anyway, so you don't really know how long the engine has ben running with the new oil.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

a friend of mine had this actually a few years back , he changed the oil on a diesel and the owner watched him do it - 3 days later he got a nasty call from the car owner saying my mate had ripped him off by putting in used oil!
Simon
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Harlequin wrote:a friend of mine had this actually a few years back , he changed the oil on a diesel and the owner watched him do it - 3 days later he got a nasty call from the car owner saying my mate had ripped him off by putting in used oil!

It's surprising that people think oil should remain the colour it is in the can after circulating through the engine. Even after using flushing oil , the new stuff won't stay clean for long.
Rick.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

qprdude wrote:
Harlequin wrote:a friend of mine had this actually a few years back , he changed the oil on a diesel and the owner watched him do it - 3 days later he got a nasty call from the car owner saying my mate had ripped him off by putting in used oil!

It's surprising that people think oil should remain the colour it is in the can after circulating through the engine. Even after using flushing oil , the new stuff won't stay clean for long.
The 306 1.4 petrol I look after seems to always have clean oil in it whenever I change it. No one else ever touches it. Like clockwork, every 6000 miles it's clean as a whistle.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Northern_Mike wrote: The 306 1.4 petrol I look after seems to always have clean oil in it whenever I change it. No one else ever touches it. Like clockwork, every 6000 miles it's clean as a whistle.
Not surprising as that 306 is Petrol. Every Diesel engine rapidly gets microscopic soot particles in the oil - a couple of hours running on a brand new engine is enough to turn the oil 'black', though if you look at it carefully it's obvious the oil is clear amber with fine black soot in it. On an old diesel engine, it's impossible to get all the old sooty oil out, so as soon as it's started, the clean new oil gets mixed with the residual, very sooty, oil.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
mendedit
My Cars:

Post by mendedit »

Does the oil filter look new?
I doubt anyone woud do an oil change without changing that as well,
Oil should be cleanish for a few days I'd say with some blackistness to it perhaps
but not jet black. How long (Mls.) before this 'change' was the last oil in the car?
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Take it from me, you will be struggling to tell after a couple of hours running in a diesel engine.
Rick.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It depends too on how much of the old oil was drained out, if the sump is emptied properly it will stay cleaner for longer. but even then the oil will begin to colour up as soon as you start the engine.

Diesels are a lot cleaner than they were, I used to run Perkins 4/108 engines, the oil had to be changed every 2,000 miles and if you left it any longer nothing happened when you removed the sump plug :shock:

Peter
evoke

Post by evoke »

mendedit wrote:Does the oil filter look new?
I doubt anyone woud do an oil change without changing that as well,
Oil should be cleanish for a few days I'd say with some blackistness to it perhaps
but not jet black. How long (Mls.) before this 'change' was the last oil in the car?
I checked with the indie and the oil filter was not changed as he was in a hurry. As I mentioned, I will play it safe as I don't trust the indie so will get Citroen to do a minor service which includes oil and filter change. The car was driven 6 miles when I checked the oil.

It had a dealer service 6,000 miles ago according to the service booklet.
2008 Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

takes 5 mins to change an oil filter - not heard of 1 being skipped on a service for a long time tbh.
Simon
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Personally, I would never return to that garage. I cant believe that a mechanic would put new oil into your car and leave a used filter. Does he know the purpose of the filter?
Rick.