will lexia run on vista??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: will lexia run on vista??

Post by Ben82 »

deano1970 wrote:hiya ben, yes that is it, I didn't notice the bit about dell....is that a fact that it will only run on dell?? I don't really understand it to be honest, I just thought it was windows xp pro and i could put it on my pc,?? not the case then??
From a technical standpoint it will only install on a machine that the BIOS identifies itself as a dell one. So yes it will only run on a dell, however there are tools out there to fake bioses, and will make it appear to be a dell for the purpose of the OEM check. This would be seen as getting around the OEM licensing anyway, they are getting around that by supplying a dell machine with the disc. The COA you get will most likely be attached to the dell machine that you get along with it.

Your second post doesn't appear to have a link, but I would assume they include the software to allow your computer to fake it being a dell.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

Post by deano1970 »

this is on the faq part of the auction ad....and I think it should work fine........

Can I install using a Dell branded reinstallation disc?
Dell branded discs are labelled as reinstallation discs and the wording on the disc implies that you need the operating system to be already installed. The wording on the disc is a little confusing however, as the disc is equally capable of installing (and reinstalling) the operating system.

Dell discs are bootable discs and contain a full Windows installation, the only difference being that a Dell icon will appear in the Computer/Properties page as required by Microsoft.

As stated in our listing, a Dell disc will install on any machine which can support the operating system purchased.
It will install on computers which are new or have been fitted with a new/formatted hard drive.
It will install on computers which have a previous operating system installed, in this case the Windows installer will allow you to format your drive before installing a new version of the operating system.
C5 X7
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Sorry I said wrong... it will install, but it will not activate. I forgot the check was part of activation, not installation.
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

hi ben,
I e mailed the guy selling the xp pro and this his a copy and paste of his reply..........

Hi,
As long as you machine will support XP pro then this will install and activate.
We provide a link to our full colour step by step installation guide and also a guide to correct activation.

The BIOS has nothing to do with activation, OEM licensing records you motherboard ID along with the product key.

Hope that helps
C5 X7
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

I will let Wikipedia speak for that one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS#SLIC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

lol, I read that ben,but i am still non the wiser....the guy who is selling them has good feedback and is selling lots of them....I have to go with what he tells me as he offers online support and of course if it doesn't work,I am protected by paypal.....he has had two neg f/b two neutral and 570 positive so i think im gonna risk it,see how it goes...
C5 X7
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

deano1970 wrote:lol, I read that ben,but i am still non the wiser....the guy who is selling them has good feedback and is selling lots of them....I have to go with what he tells me as he offers online support and of course if it doesn't work,I am protected by paypal.....he has had two neg f/b two neutral and 570 positive so i think im gonna risk it,see how it goes...
Whatever it is though Dean, is it isn't truly legal... you cannot legally use an OEM license from one machine on another. They are avoiding being illegal by selling the motherboard along with it to basically get around the license wording.

The moment you put it on your Laptop it become illegitimate, no better than obtaining a volume license install disc and key and installing that.
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

ok, so what is my option? I was on an online chat session with a microsoft advisor and he confirmed the coa on the bottom of my laptop was an oem and was correct, he also said that microsoft no longer supply customers with windows xp pro and he advised me to try and find somebody with a copy of it and to install it on my laptop and use the coa that is on the bottom of my laptop??
C5 X7
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

deano1970 wrote:ok, so what is my option? I was on an online chat session with a microsoft advisor and he confirmed the coa on the bottom of my laptop was an oem and was correct, he also said that microsoft no longer supply customers with windows xp pro and he advised me to try and find somebody with a copy of it and to install it on my laptop and use the coa that is on the bottom of my laptop??
What's the laptop make/model that you're going to install it on?
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

it is a toshiba tecra M5 model number PTM51E............................
C5 X7
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Dean, that is why I am able to send you a copy of XP Pro, as the COA is your permission to use Windows. Provided that disc works (and it should, my PC could read it after I burnt it), you do not need to spend any money on another Windows disc.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

yes james, that is correct,or at least I assume it is, the guy at microsoft suggested exactly that......so,yes,I will wait for the disc to arrive, actually no point buying it as you have sent me a copy and it will get here before anything else would anyway....I am just curious I suppose as to how these things work........cheers james.....just this dam weather now that is holding everything up.....pretty much cut off from everything up here... :cry:
C5 X7
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Technically OEM->OEM is fine, but Dell have done some things with their discs before (not requiring product key etc, which is changable but can be a bit of a hassle)... If James' disc he's sending you is a non-Dell OEM then it should be fine, as it should accept your key and activate fine.
If James' is a retail disc then you may find it won't accept the key (I think there are ways around this too - to convert Retail to OEM etc).

BTW: The replacement discs used to cost £5 from MS. So you're looking at quite a large margin there :)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The disc is a copy of a non-specific OEM disc. Provided Deans COA is not Toshiba specific the disc should work.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

hi james/ben...
I was looking at one on e bay with a possibility of putting it on my spare laptop as vista is slow and so that is main reason for looking.I will still try and use the disc you are sending me for my toshiba laptop......im getting confused myslef now,lol..........
C5 X7