will lexia run on vista??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

will lexia run on vista??

Post by deano1970 »

ok, question is in the title. I have struggled to load diagbox software successfully since formatting my laptop,but I have another laptop with vista on it,according to the guy selling the lexia on e bay, I can use vista as well as xp, just windows 7 that needs to be in xp mode....does anybody know if this is true?? Don't want to mess up my car,or would i get software loading errors on my pc before i got that far if not compatible?? cheers
C5 X7
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: will lexia run on vista??

Post by Ben82 »

Doubt you'd mess up the car with using Vista... no harm in trying to install it, might not get much further than your XP issue though, or you may find Lexia doesn't run at all.... (Also make sure it's 32bit Vista not 64bit).
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

yes it is 32bit and the seller that sold it me says that it runs on vista as well as xp and win 7,although on win7 has to be in xp mode....the e bay number is 221189007865........
he reckons it works but although he has good feedback, he has had to refund one buyer who was trying to use vista.......may try it anyway see how it goes... :-)
C5 X7
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

The guy with the software problems probably has issues with Vista, the worst OS that Microsoft ever produced. Just look on-line to see how bad it is.

XP is perfectly adequate to run Lexia software, as its not a very sophisticated programme.

H
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

I don't have any direct experience with Lexia clones but I do have years of dealing with Windows driver problems.

Every generation of windows (3.1, 95, 98, NT and 2000 Pro and XP, Vista and W7, W8) has a different cores, meaning that almost all peripherals require different drivers for each generation. XP-mode in W7 is Microsoft's very belated attempt to address this issue as plenty of businesses refuse point-blank to 'upgrade' to W7 because they have a large investment in XP-compatible peripherals - what Microsoft derisively call 'legacy hardware'.

I suspect you're onto a loser with Vista, especially if you can't get this hardware to work with XP. Couple of simple things to try (with XP):
another USB cable,
completely uninstall everything to do with the Lexia including drivers, shut down, start-up (don't just restart) and then re-install using a different USB port (not logical Dr Spock but sometimes works!)

Does the Lexia clone draw power from the USB port? If so, a common problem with USB-powered devices on laptops is that many cheaper laptops can only provide half-power through any one USB port. Test by connecting the Lexia through a powered USB hub (one that has it's own mains adaptor).
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

I have had it running perfectly on my lapto with xp pro, then stupdly formatted it and could only find an xp home edition to re install windows....james is kindly sending me a disc with xp pro,I have a coa on my laptop and the software was loaded from a cd,not needing a usb cable?? I will post again if I am able to get the xp pro up and running again.I am certian it is the xp home edition that is the problem,I will wait for the disc before starting on another laptop,lol.......... :x
C5 X7
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I thought my Diagbox6 would run on 7 but it would not, well it did and did not, although this is slightly off topic I did do some extensive testing a while ago to determine what would and would not run, hopefully it may help a bit.

I did some testing:

It won't install on W2K due to some missing paths (probably fixable by editing the installer if brave)

It will install on W2K server (don't ask) although I'd not tried to use it.

I don't have Vista (refrains from Vista related jokes)

It will install on XP (only tested Pro) and it works fine when connected, this is what I use. Much fun as no XP drivers for current netbook (I'll spare you the details of investigating chipsets to find something that would half work)

It will install on 7 (tested Pro and 'Basic') although it refuses to work properly when connected throws up spurious odd errors.

Regarding install, I tend to cheat and use Daemon Tools as this way you can manage without a optical drive and install it on a machine that does not have one as it can 'pretend' to be a CD/DVD/BD drive.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

well, I don't really understand it all that well, but the disc I had it on was an iso file and I couldn't run it anyway without using daemon tools. it installed ok but now it won't.....but as stated,I am back to xp home edition and it isn't having it.....The discs I have came with two patches though, one v5 and one v6......i have obviously used the v6 patch as I am installing diagbox v6.01?? don't really know why the other patch is on the disc?? whatever I try i always get "failure of the activation (error 0) ???
C5 X7
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

I think while this weather is so rubbish outside,I might try and install it on my desktop,which runs vista, just to see if it will install,trying it on the car would mean loading it on my other laptop,the reason I haven't tried it is on one auction,i read using lexia with anything other than xp could "brick" my car, turning it into an expensive paperweight?? I am not in the know enough to know if this could happen so am wary of trying it with vista even if it loads on the lappy ok??
C5 X7
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

I've had a word with a mate of mine who was a techie for Citroen UK and he said that Lexia was only ever rated to run with Microsoft pre-Vista OS, not later software. If you use XP it must be the Pro version and be at least SP3, although he had run it on 98 & W2000.

I'm a bit mystified as to why you are bothering with Vista, as it was such a rubbish OS, with so many errors and gliches. #-o I've not tried Lexia with 7 as I dont think the drivers exist and any plug-in to a download from Citroen will instantly lock-up the software. Beware! :shock:

I wonder how it runs with Linux? Anybody tried it yet? #-o

H
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

handyman wrote:I wonder how it runs with Linux? Anybody tried it yet? #-o
H
:-D :-D :-D

For the benefit of anyone who doesn't understand the joke, all application software makes use of functionality provided by the operating system (Windows, Mac OS, Linux). With foresight, a software author can design and write an application so that huge chunks of high-level code can be re-used in versions for different OS, but a lot is still operating system specific. For most commercial authors, the tiny additional return for all that extra work isn't cost-effective.

IF there were a Linux version, it would work [FULL STOP] With the Open Source community able to improve, correct and update. Which is one reason why Citroen and the copiers stick with Windows; the other is that Linux has very small penetration (almost no) of the business end-user market.

Linux is mostly used in the third world (free licenses),as an embedded OS (e.g. your router is almost certainly running Linux!) and of course is widely used in the infrastructure of the Internet.

My 2009 vintage Thinkpad (R500) that I'm writing this on goes like a scalded cat under Ubuntu (Linux) 10.04 LTS. It completely boots from cold (including connecting to the wireless network) in under 50 seconds, shut-down under 9. Vista Pro takes 7 minutes (and that's a clean re-install). :shock:
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

The only reason I am using vista on my laptop is because I have just bought it as a 2nd hand lappy incase my toshiba packs up and that is the o/s that is on it.. It is painfully slow and I am minded to buy a copy of xp pro (£17.00 ebay with original coa sticker) and replace vista...I managed to do some research on the net and by creating a paging file on vista it has speeded it up no end but start up/shut down still very slow.....as for previous post,that would explain why I cannot now get diagbox software to load on my xp home edition sp2....I am awaiting a disc with xp pro kindly sent by hellrazor so I can re load iton my lappy,I have the coa on it so that is what microsoft advised me to do,just this dam weather now holding everything up.....don't think there is any danger of seeing a postman up in buxton today....... :cry:
C5 X7
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Dean, is that item 271172858187? if so it'll only work on Dells.... or potentially with a bit of bios faking, not really a good option.

Looks like you get a dell pc with it, for them to comply with the License Agreement lol!!
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

hiya ben, yes that is it, I didn't notice the bit about dell....is that a fact that it will only run on dell?? I don't really understand it to be honest, I just thought it was windows xp pro and i could put it on my pc,?? not the case then??
C5 X7
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

hi ben,
check this one out, also says it's from dell but seller states it will run on any system that is capable of running windows xp 32 bit?? I have mailed the seller of the first one cos it's cheaper but if this one would run on any other machine I don't see why it wouldn't run on mine?? what do you think??
C5 X7