Lane Departure Warning System

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: Lane Departure Warning System

Post by qprdude »

Yes, strange. I did my RoSPA advanced last June, and was told to use my indicators when changing lanes. The examiner was an ex traffic cop, and he explained that given today's motorway and dual carriageway speeds, it's hard to judge distances, even in the best road conditions. He also explained that if you get into a bad habit of not indicating, it's likely to stick with you. He gave us examples, such as changing lanes after a bend or a blind summit where the car behind can't see what you intend to do, but if you signal well in advance of the obstruction, drivers behind are aware that you intend to make a maneuvre. He did say that sometimes it was better NOT to indicate when you intended to return to an inside lane, as many drivers take that as a signal to floor the accelerator to overtake. If you then find you can't get into the inside lane, you have a guy behind who expects you to be out of his way, when you're not! He said it would be better to ensure that you were clear to move in by checking your rear view mirror, not your door mirror as it can give a false sense of clearance. I still have the notes, that why I can remember. My memory ain't that good.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'd second that ^
I invariably indicate, even if there is no-one to see it. You never know and it costs nothing.
With the exception of returning to a lower index lane on a dual carriageway or motorway. The reason being that that is where you are supposed to be and indicating is superfluous. Anyone overtaking on the inside just shouldn't, should they ?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

qprdude wrote: He did say that sometimes it was better NOT to indicate when you intended to return to an inside lane, as many drivers take that as a signal to floor the accelerator to overtake. If you then find you can't get into the inside lane, you have a guy behind who expects you to be out of his way, when you're not! He said it would be better to ensure that you were clear to move in by checking your rear view mirror, not your door mirror as it can give a false sense of clearance. I still have the notes, that why I can remember. My memory ain't that good.
i disagree
firstly you should not be cutting back into the N/S lane as soon as you clear/pass the car you are passing, but only once you are a good distance past it,
secondly the car following you whilst you are in the outer lane should not be so close/up you back bumper!!!!, especially/even more so at motorway/dual carriage way speeds
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

citronut wrote:
qprdude wrote: He did say that sometimes it was better NOT to indicate when you intended to return to an inside lane, as many drivers take that as a signal to floor the accelerator to overtake. If you then find you can't get into the inside lane, you have a guy behind who expects you to be out of his way, when you're not! He said it would be better to ensure that you were clear to move in by checking your rear view mirror, not your door mirror as it can give a false sense of clearance. I still have the notes, that why I can remember. My memory ain't that good.
i disagree
firstly you should not be cutting back into the N/S lane as soon as you clear/pass the car you are passing, but only once you are a good distance past it,
secondly the car following you whilst you are in the outer lane should not be so close/up you back bumper!!!!, especially/even more so at motorway/dual carriage way speeds
Only quoting what the advanced driver examiner told me mate. Unfortunately, you can't control what the driver behind you is doing, hence the need to defend your position by removing yourself and passengers from the danger(sic). Can't remember where I said "cutting in". I said "when you are clear to move in". Big difference.
Rick.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

qprdude wrote:
citronut wrote:
i disagree
Only quoting what the advanced driver examiner told me mate. Unfortunately, you can't control what the driver behind you is doing, hence the need to defend your position by removing yourself and passengers from the danger(sic). Can't remember where I said "cutting in". I said "when you are clear to move in". Big difference.
dont get me wrong
i was not saying or meaning that you had said cutting in, all i was trying to get across is if you move back to the N/S lane when you are well clear/passed the car you are passing, this should eliminate the chance of the car you have just passed playing silly sods by accelerating up as you try to pull back into the N/S lane
Regards, malcolm.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Unfortunately, the opposite is usually true these days. If you don't return to the nearside lane as soon as it is safe to do so, the tailgaters get closer and closer to try to intimidate you, and you are in more danger from them, than from the guy who decides he doesn't want to be overtaken purely because you are in different lanes.. Just the way people drive now, and I suspect the advanced tests have been tailored to allow for it. On a three lane road there is usually no problem, but the dual roads are rife with tailgators. When I started out with driving courses, the first one was called "defensive driving" and much of that was still valid in the more advanced stuff. The bottom line is, there will always be the clowns who think it'll never happen to them, and the best thing is to avoid them while maintaining the safety of your vehicle and those about you. My solution for the problem is, take the bus, especially if you have a free bus pass.
Rick.

neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

"The examiner was an ex traffic cop, and he explained that given today's motorway and dual carriageway speeds, it's hard to judge distances"

Hmm... I wonder just how 'ex' he was... ?

If he's telling you that, I'd be very wary of his current abilities...

You indicate when it conveys USEFUL information to someone else. If they don't need to know, because whatever youre planning doesn't influence what they'll be doing, don't indicate - it just adds to the 'clutter' and serves no purpose, would be my view. (Current police Class One, although not doing that any more...)

But, seems to be one of those subjects where everyone has their own theory. Good, eh??! ;-)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

qprdude wrote:Unfortunately, the opposite is usually true these days. If you don't return to the nearside lane as soon as it is safe to do so, the tailgaters get closer and closer to try to intimidate you, and you are in more danger from them, than from the guy who decides he doesn't want to be overtaken purely because you are in different lanes.. Just the way people drive now, and I suspect the advanced tests have been tailored to allow for it. On a three lane road there is usually no problem, but the dual roads are rife with tailgators. When I started out with driving courses, the first one was called "defensive driving" and much of that was still valid in the more advanced stuff. The bottom line is, there will always be the clowns who think it'll never happen to them, and the best thing is to avoid them while maintaining the safety of your vehicle and those about you. My solution for the problem is, take the bus, especially if you have a free bus pass.
i quite agree regarding tailgaters as that is one of my main bug bears (GRIZZLY SNARL ),

i tend not to allow them to force me out of the lane im in any quicker than i was going to do, they are the ones at fault not me,
neil123 wrote: But, seems to be one of those subjects where everyone has their own theory. Good, eh??! ;-)

thats the hole problem these days everyone has got different ideas on what they should be or can/cant do,

i thought this is why the rules are there so everybody knows exactly what everyone else is likely to do/be doing
Regards, malcolm.

neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

Malcolm, I'd happily bow to your expert knowledge on Citroen innards - but on this one, there is only the rule of indicating when useful to others. There is no rule which says 'indicate all the time just in case' - as it becomes habit and doesn't follow good observation!'

That's the Roadcraft take - which IAM and RoSPA people should be working to, as well as police drivers.

Anyhoo.... back to Citroens!

N
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

neil123 wrote:Malcolm, I'd happily bow to your expert knowledge on Citroen innards - but on this one, there is only the rule of indicating when useful to others. There is no rule which says 'indicate all the time just in case' - as it becomes habit and doesn't follow good observation!'

That's the Roadcraft take - which IAM and RoSPA people should be working to, as well as police drivers.

Anyhoo.... back to Citroëns!

N
no worries Neil

but i will still continue to MIRROR SIGNAL MANURE whoooops i mean MANOUVER
Regards, malcolm.

Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

Getting back on topic........

I have LDWS on the C6, and there are both pro's and con's to the system. one of the biggest cons is that the white reflective paint on the road can sometimes set the system off, by this I mean direction arrows at junctions, which can be annoying, the pro side for me is that I suffer with hayfever and have been known to sneeze whilst driving, having the LDWS gives me a little bit of security, just on the off chance that the car drifts.

The LDWS is a est an aid, but you have to remember there is always an 'off' button for those who choose not to use it.....
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php