'96 ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

'96 ZX

Post by Ben82 »

Been looking around for a car for my wife-to-be to learn in, and came across this: http://www.blocket.se/vi/45960632.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From what I can tell, it needs a new windscreen and the sills need welding.

It seems like its had a fair bit of new stuff within the past couple of years including tyres, exhaust, spark plugs, pads and some shock absorbers.

It's done somewhere between 120 and 150k miles. And they're after about £450 for it.

My main questions would be, how long would the sills take for a standard mechanic to sort out? As that would give me an indication of cost as I don't have welding equipment not the expertise to embark on such a task.

Is it worth pursuing and finding more info on or would I be getting myself into a lot of expense to get it roadworthy?
And can I hook my Lexia up to it? :)

Not too worried about them seemingly giving up on it. Seen enough variations in the Swedish market from people not even doing simple things to make their cars more sellable, to those spending a lot of money getting stuff done (eg c5 v6 timing belt - cheapest is about £1200 to have done here) and then sell the car a few months later.
In this one I get the feeling he's not got the time to sort it and has another car so just wants rid.

I'm guessing its going to need towing though if the old sills have been removed?

Comments welcome :)

Thanks

Ben
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: '96 ZX

Post by evilally »

As always with cars that use this rear suspension design, check the condition of the rear beam. From the picture it looks like the wheel is sitting nice and perpendicular so should be ok. If a wheel is starting to lean in it indicates worn beam bearings. Waggle the wheel and check for play. You would either need to pay a fortune to get the beam reconditioned, or source a suitable second hand one. Check where the beam mounts to the chassis underneath for corrosion.

I got the sills done on my 406 when I got it, it was about £100 a side. That was for a proper job, not a botch to get it through one more MOT.

Perhaps someone will be along to offer some ZX specific advice :)
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I don't know how second prices are over there but you should be able to get a fairly good diesel ZX for that price here although there are not many about now, there are more 306s around. Petrol cars are worth next to nothing here.

Peter
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

evilally, thanks for the info, will have to check out those if I do decide to go take a look. Was that £100 per side just for labour? as I believe he has the sills they just need welding.

Peter, as a general rule for working out a good price for a used car in sweden, is take the UK Price, and then either at least double it for a private sale, or at least triple it for one from a company.

Small cars are a bit of a rarity here (seemingly so in the 2nd hand market anyway), and finding one with a diesel engine is a rarity (doing a search for small (any make) cars with twice our budget, and diesel returns 28 results for the whole of sweden, you then take away the vans etc from that list, you get 17, reducing that list down to around budget and you get 8 :( Citroens? 0 )

Unfortunately that's really the only Citroen option locally within price range (others are a 97 'lingo van - not practical for us, an 00 evasion with a bad engine - too big, and a 92 XM, again too big) :( Pug offerings aren't too great either, either too big (406s, 306 estate), or a '98 306 with a blown HG.. (I guess that could be an option?)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The Berlingo has essentially the same rear suspension as a ZX, handles similarly (smile-inducing) and carries more junk when you need it to.

I don't consider rear beams a mission, the ZX/306 type has the stubs pressed into the trailing arms so you buy the aftermarket pivots and bearings for about £45/side. On Berlingo, XPic and 405 you need to remove the subframe as the pivot installation is slightly different.

Overall, I'd look for a pre-multiplexed car/van with sound body and a failed driveline.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

The later ZXs seem to suffer more from bodywork failure in this area - sills- and the rot can be quite extensive, extending into the floorpan, even though it is galvanized. If it were me, I'd have a good poke around the sills and floorpan with a sharp point before parting with any money.

I did break a number of these later Zxs that had extensive rot, pre-1993 ones seem not to suffer the same problem. I considered any viable repair too costly, given the value of the cars. My old 1992 model was perfect in this area, it was just the flames that got it! :twisted:

Very under-rated cars, and spares are getting quite scarce.

Handyman
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

@addo: Thanks, only issue with practicality with the berlingo van, is I believe it doesn't have seats in the back? we'll often need to take the daughter out with us. So need to put her somewhere (legally!) :)
handyman wrote:Very under-rated cars, and spares are getting quite scarce.
Thanks for the info, This is quite possibly the dealbreaker though, if parts are scarce in the UK, they'll probably be even more scarce here. :(
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Ben, ZX spares are about, with many mechanical parts being available on other PSA models, but many panel parts are getting thin on the ground as dealers have been dumping parts for ZXs as they consider them obsolete. :shock: Its a shame really as a very under-rated car has suffered drastically due to the buying preferences of the fickle UK general public and the stupid Govt inspired 'scrapage' scheme that has help nobody, least of all the UK car industry.

I must state, though, go to France and you will see many ZXs, some really old and battered but still giving sterling service to their Gallic owners. If it were viable, I would be happy to drag some back to the UK to 'recycle' the spares, but its not an economic proposition at the moment.

Even the Dutch, inspite of their Govt edicts, do sterling work on trying to keep old Citroens going.

Get some photos of the rot and post them up here and I'll soon tell you whether its worth repairing or not. If I know what panels you need, I can contact a few sources here in the UK and in France to trackdown a set of panels, if they exist.

H
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Look for one of the "people carrier" type Berlingos. Bytbil has a good few.
Ben82

Re:

Post by Ben82 »

addo wrote:Look for one of the "people carrier" type Berlingos. Bytbil has a good few.
Thanks, had a look, unfortunately all are over 10,000SEK, which is my "soft limit" at the moment, add into that they're quite far away, so logistics becomes an issue.
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

As handyman says , they are a very much underrated car the Zx , get a good one and keep on top of the general repairs and it should serve you well , mines a 2.0 16valve and it's a fantastic car . If you could find a volcane turbo diesel now that would be good .

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Like buses, these old Citroens seem to be coming along at once...
an 88 BX.. surely that pic was taken about 15 years ago, it looks pretty much mint condition?! :)

SWMBO will probably think the BX is a bit big for her though. :(