Valeo/Lucas Headlamps

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

blueboy2001

Valeo/Lucas Headlamps

Post by blueboy2001 »

The OS headlamp on my Xantia has knackered adjusters and is currently pointing about a foot from the front bumper.
I'm trying to find a decent secondhand unit but if I can't it will have to be new.
Is there much difference between the Lucas lamps @ £39.80 and the Valeo (I presume) at £69.50 in terms of quality?
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I'm guessing you're UK based here... If you can't find a secondhand unit locally try searching on the web. I used BreakerLink and 1stChoice. You fill in a form and then loads of car breakers phone/e-mail you with quotes. I sourced my AX headlamp and indicator this way a couple of weeks ago; I submitted the form in the morning and had arranged delivery by the afternoon - pretty impressive.
The only drawback was my parts cost £15 and the p&p cost nearly the same!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I bought a couple of Xantia headlights from a spiffle yard.
They were missing rear covers, and were full of spiders, insects and other rubbish. I took them apart and realised that the chrome on the reflecters wasn't wonderful, and the adjusters were stuck too (although all they required was some oil).
The end result was that I put a lot of time and effort into making a set of second hand headlights pass an MOT and my dipped beams are worse than they need to be...
If I were you I'd buy the Lucas lamps... the Valeo ones aren't good dipped so the Lucas can't be much worse and they're cheaper too.
humpy

Post by humpy »

I replaced my old, original Valeos with new Lucases and the difference is marked, the new ones are a massive improvement. Obviously this could be the difference between new and old, but no danger going for the cheaper Lucases.
Richard W
My Cars:

Post by Richard W »

if you want to improve the lighting on your xantia you can do a lot worse than fit some Philips vision plus bulbs. They are not cheap I think a pair cost me around the 15 quid mark but the difference is unbelievable, I can see what I am going to hit now!
Richard
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I've fitted Osram Silverstar bulbs which are apparently a lot better than Philips Vision + according to Autoexpress. What its highlighted is the poor adjustment of the lamps - one is angled right down about a foot from the front bumper and the adjuster just turns with no effect.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I have 6 100w lamps in mine - 2 dip - 2 main - 2 fog - don't even start to work out the current, its to scary
Oh and the lights are still not as good as a little Vauxhall Corsa ( with 100w/80w lamps [:D])
Neil
xantiaBFY
My Cars:

Post by xantiaBFY »

Won't fitting such higher wattage bulb have a detrimental effect on the reflectors/wires.
BonceChops - how's your lights now.
regards
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Yes it could is the simple answer. In UK there is a legal limit on the power of bulbs that may be used in headlights. Recent improvements in the design and manufacture of bulbs means that greater outputs can be obtained for the same wattage.
The mos common reason for aparently dull headlights is poor focusing of the light units. As a quick check drive the car up to a wall, put on the headlights and stick some tape on the wall in the centre of the main beam unit. Now drive back about 20 feet and put on the main beam and see where the brightest part is. It should cover the tapes, with the tape towards the top of the zone. If it doesn't the lights should be adjusted.
I see that My BX which has just been tested has had its headlamps adjusted incorrectly and now on main beam they point at the ground rather than beeing parralel to the road. I suppose someone has adjusted them with the engine turned off and the back of the car has sunk. Oh well another job to do.
The other reason for poor lights can be the wiring itself which is none too generous. A rough indication of the voltage drop in the wiring can be got from arranging a direct feed from the battery and seeing if there is any improvement. If there is then the thing to do is to arrange a direct feed with a fuse for protection and control it using the existing wiring to operate a relay. This of course gets more complicated for those cars fitted with the dim-dip system but there should be no problem with using it for mains only.
Jeremy