BX DTR Turbo Lucas fuel pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ohms69

BX DTR Turbo Lucas fuel pump

Post by ohms69 »

Hi all,
just purchased my first BX, a spangly '93 2 owner estate in metallic grey with 117K and FSH. The car is beautiful and in immaculate condition.
It's suffering the dreaded 15 second clicking from the pressure regulator, so an accumulator is one of the first jobs.
I have owned 2 xantia TD's previously and bought the BX mainly because of the weight thing.
My god, these things fly! Way quicker than my xantia's and seems to be quicker than most everyhting else on the road...But, I do feel the car would be much improved with a tweek...Namely, the fuel pump. The Lucas jobbie is fitted, and I wondered whether anybody has any info on tweaking this to gain more power.
thanks
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I had the use of a '92 BX TurboD a few years ago. I had it for just 1 month while my peugeot was in for repair. It was very quick. My Xantia doesn't seem as quick. I am very tempted to get another BX.
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

I would highly recomend the swap if you can find a good one.
The Bx is far more entertaining to drive, and isn't anywhere near as refined which is a good thing in my book.
It's similar to my Renault 5 GT turbo in it's approach to getting the job done...That is, feelsome steering and ultra lightweight.
I am smitten and will run the thing into the ground, not literally of course, but I am finally happy with an A to B runabout. Who would have thought an estate could be this much fun...Pass me my pipe and slippers, I need a nap!
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

Agree. The TD BX goes like a rocket. Was thinking of buying a TD Xantia but found it was not as big in the back, was slower, more thirsty & more expensive; didn't like the interiors either; Xantias are just much better built!
I wonder if the Bosche injection pump is superior?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Rob, I don't know if the Bosch is better, but it certainly lasts a lot longer!
Check out the comments on injection pumps here:
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/engine/diesel.html
//NiSk
RKE
My Cars:

Post by RKE »

Yes, the Bosch Pump is much better. I have found two BX turbo Diesels, that the Lucas/CAV pump suffered the same problems. Leaking Diesel at the cold advance solenoid and at the boost diaphram. Both of these vechicles leaked diesel onto the oil cooler pipes, decomposed them and they them leaked coolant. The boost diaphram also leaked diesel back into the into the intercooler, when the engine was left ticking over. This problem start occurring when the vehicles were about 5 years old, with less than 80,000 miles.
The final solution was to install the injector pump, injectors and connecting pipes from a '93 to '95 Xantia or Peugeot 405. The pump used had no electronic control.