HDI Xantia aux belt and tensioner and pulley wheel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

HDI Xantia aux belt and tensioner and pulley wheel

Post by charentejohn »

Here I sit covered in muck from the engine with no idea how to tension the belt.
I read some posts here and looked at photos from suppliers but mine seems to have ther 'other' system. I always seem to have cars like that.
Most show a hole and a square socket, mone has a large allen key offset on one side and a small hole (doen't seem to be anything inside) on the othe side of the face of the tensioner.
New belt is a bit slacker than original (expected it tighter) so needs to move. Currently small hole is at the bottom, allen key at the top left about 11 o'clock position.

So having leaned on the allen key a bit nothing happens so.............
How hard do I lean on it and which way (anti clockwise to loosen) ?
I assume I then insert a bar in the round hole and lever against the allen key to apply tension, tightening the allen key at the same time.

I am on about this http://www.oscaro.com/galet-tendeur-de- ... 0393-310-p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; apart from the fact of the fittings being completely different that is.

Second question is the crank pulley, I can grab the edge and move it about 1mm by pulling towards me. Is this ok.
No noises up to now and no rust showing as people have warned about so this may be normal. If not I may replace it now ?
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: HDI Xantia aux belt and tensioner and pulley wheel

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds similar to the cam belt tensioner,on the C5, is it sprung loaded or can you lock it anywhere? You have to make sure you get the correct length belt as every car seems to have a different one :? If you can't see the number on the old one, lay it flat and run a piece of string round it and measure that.

The crankshaft pully has rubber between the inner and outer parts so may move a little, if its disintegrating you should be able to see cracks in the rubber or it detaching from the metal.

Peter
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

That sounds very strange..

The stock HDi manual tensioner, as you rightly say, has a bolt (torx headed) and a square hole both offset from the centre of the pulley.
To tension you have to slacken off the torx headed bolt and then use a tool in the square hole to turn the tensioner around until the belt is tight and nip up the torx bolt.
It may be a similar situation here?

I recall that the crank pulley is rubberised to some degree, 1mm of play seems excessive to me. But having no experience with this particular part I wouldn't be able to say.

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Alex,

Anything like the tensioner in these photo's below

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

No, not at all :D

The Xantia HDi does also have a spring loaded tensioner but it's not the same as that one, the manual tensioner is shown in charentejohn's original post (the hyperlink).

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks for the info
I put the old belt back as the new one, although right part no and seems the same size, was a bit loose. The tensioner will probably do it if I can ever undo it. Tried and no movement, allen key and levering on it with a large spanner. The old belt was ok, just thought, while I am here....

Next is to possibly buy a new crank pulley and lower tensioner (with proper fittings) and refit the new belt later.

New question though, how do I get this off ? I felt around and no bolts or nuts, just a casting. How do I remove it ? I have a workshop manual (french) which says, as they mostly do, remove tensioner. Helpful.
All photos from suppliers just show a roller but not what it fits to.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

The pulley is held on by the lock bolt (torx, or allen in this case) - it goes straight through and screws into the engine, perhaps it has seized or some git put loctite on it.

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you send me the last 8 digits of your chassis/VIN No. i will look on service citroen to see exactly what should be fitted to your car,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Last 8 digits of Vin are 72408512, car is 2001 90 SX.
Belt I bought is http://www.mister-auto.com/courroie-d-a ... K1750.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it is probably ok, if the tensioner moved a little bit, say 3mm it should tighten it.

I have put everything back together and started the car, preparing to duck in case the belt shredded but it didn't, so I can take time to sort this out now. Barring anything else going wrong that is.....
I will try again to remove the tensioner, I guess I can do this even when the belt is in position and tensioned. As soon as (if) the bolt moves I can stop, as long as I know it is just one bolt I now know what I need to do.

I think I will buy a new tensione rand crank pulley anyway, best ot be same for a few pounds.
All in all not too bad doing the accessory belt as it looked a nightmare, I am more used to V belts on morris 100s and Mk2 Cortinas really. Just fear of the unknown, then again as they say, if something frightens you then run right at it :-D
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

here is price and part No.'s for the manual and auto tensioner for your chassis No.

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection

manual adjuster
0000575129 ALTERNATOR TENSION ROLLER 82.71 GBP 99.25 GBP 99.25 GBP

auto adjuster
0000575155 ALTERNATOR TENSION ROLLER 75.72 GBP 90.86 GBP 90.86 GBP

and the aux drive belt depends on make of air/con pimp fitteed

5750 YF
DRIVE BELT ALTERNATEUR
K6 - LE 1736
COMPRESSOR SANDEN

5750 YG
K6 - LE 1750
COMPRESSOR DELPHI

you can aim these No.'s at you local motor factors to cross ref them
Regards, malcolm.

charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks Malcolm, the belt is correct then, just needs the adjuster. I can find an own brand one here for £36ish http://www.mister-auto.com/galet-tendeu ... 33013.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or sort of branded http://www.mister-auto.com/galet-tendeu ... 48!10.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting as Mr Auto is Uk and French based but the UK site only has a few citroen parts compared with France, obviously they sell more here, handy as for a change it helps to buy locally. :) Usually parts are more expensive here.

I have a few old allen keys so reckon I will but the end off one to fit to a socket and bar.
This should give a direct drive rather than the spanner and allen key system which bounces a bit, too springy to apply constant pressure.
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Most of the stuff from Mister-Auto comes from France... You'll find their "UK" Address is the same as the French Chamber of Commerce in London, so they don't have a presence in the UK. Not sure on the stock differences, but on the Swedish site they seem to have the same ones as the French one.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

charentejohn wrote:Thanks Malcolm, the belt is correct then, just needs the adjuster. I can find an own brand one here for £36ish http://www.mister-auto.com/galet-tendeu ... 33013.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or sort of branded http://www.mister-auto.com/galet-tendeu ... 48!10.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting as Mr Auto is Uk and French based but the UK site only has a few citroen parts compared with France, obviously they sell more here, handy as for a change it helps to buy locally. :) Usually parts are more expensive here.

I have a few old allen keys so reckon I will but the end off one to fit to a socket and bar.
This should give a direct drive rather than the spanner and allen key system which bounces a bit, too springy to apply constant pressure.
are you sure its and allen key bolt and not a torx bolt
Regards, malcolm.

charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

May well be Torx but an allen key fitted ok, I will check again as I do have some Torx keys. It would save cutting up an allen key, but I have loads acquired over the years.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if it is a torx and you get an allen key to fit this could chew the bolt up when you pit a bit of force on
Regards, malcolm.