ZX 1.6 Clutch replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

ZX 1.6 Clutch replacement

Post by handyman »

The clutch in my wife's ZX 1.6 has come to the end of it's useful life after 105K miles and now neds to be replaced, by me!
Does anybody have experience of this task, ie: How much of the car needs to be dismantled? Is it just the gearbox and bell housing? Or does the suspension, driveshaft, exhaust, etc. need removal?
I have plenty of experience on RWD cars and some FWD cars and I have all the tools including clutch alignment kits. The most important question, How long? Half day, one day, all weekend, three months.....
Any advice and rubs or wrinkles appreciated.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Yep, its a gearbox out the side complete job.
allow for about 6 hours.
In simple terms, from the top its out with the battery, support tray and air filter piping to gain access, unbolt starter motor, remove clutch cable from lever and wire to reverse light switch.
From underneath,first drain off the gearbox oil. With car safely supported, wheels off, undo driveshaft nuts both sides then split bottom balljoints to remove them from the hubs. LH shaft will gently pull out. RH shaft has 2 bolts securing its support bearing where it passes through lower engine mounting which need to be undone before removal.
After that undo gearbox mount (below where battery tray was)ensuring that engine is supported by a hoist or underneath by a jack, and undo securing bolts between engine and box, you should then be able to wriggle the 'box off and out.
Best to fit new driveshaft seals in gearbox for the sake of a few quid to prevent leaks.
Thats it in a nutshell, you'll probably find specific bits and pieces on your car, the method I decribe is a general Zx one.
Lastly, don't forget to fill the gearbox with 2 litres of Transmission BV when its all back togther.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

THanks for the info, will let you know how it goes!
Jon

Post by Jon »

I forgot to mention to remove the lower speedo cable and the three gear selector rods from the 'box as well as the earth cable !! [:I]
Sorry!!!! [;)]