C5 III side lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

C5 III side lights

Post by old'uns »

Am i just being 'Blonde' in not knowing how to leave them on after locking car up ie at shops etc for a few minutes?
Looked through Handbook, still nothing.
Park car with side lights on, lock and lights aren't on, is this normal Euro idiot-proofing? or possibly to do with LED bulbs?
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: C5 III side lights

Post by qprdude »

Top left rotary switch on wheel.
Press-- Scroll to, "Vehicle parameters..-Press...-scroll to Lighting...-Press -- scroll to "Delay"( I think that's what it says) press to set delay.
Centre button on keyfob will switch them off if the delay is longer than you need. Think it needs to be dip main beam rather than sidelights though.

Is this what you mean?
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

I know about the 'Guide Home' lights or whatever Citroens version is, more just being able to park with car locked and side lights on for 5 mins, hour whatever?
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Sorry, never heard of that. Is there any point in leaving the car with the side lights on? I'm kind of at a loss to see any advantage.
(apart from using battery power)
Rick.

old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

street with no lights, middle of nowhere in a lay-by at night whilst eating a Ginsters ,Mars bar and Milk so a sleeping Truck driver doesn't hit you---strike that, he'll be asleep won't see..D'oh!
etc....
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

If you rotate the light switch from auto to on do they stay on?
It's probably all about stoping flat batteries.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

mooseshaver wrote:If you rotate the light switch from auto to on do they stay on?
It's probably all about stoping flat batteries.

Probably right about the battery.
Old'uns, did you mean parking lights?
You used to be able to leave one front one one offside tail light on, sometimes both on certain cars, but I don't think the new shape C5 has it, or I haven't found it. The "Economy mode" would probably have a heart attack after half an hour, even though it only works with the ignition on.
I think the Merc and BMW still have parking lights, but to be honest, do you want to draw attention to your car if it's parked up in a dark street. I wouldn't want to be sitting having a drink of coke where there are big rigs thundering past in any case.
Let me know if you find it, but I don't think it's a particularly good option in todays hoodie car thieving climate. A bit like saying, "Here is my car and it's empty, parked and I'm off somewhere"
Rick.

Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

I am surprised that there does not seem to be any provision for leaving parking lights on. After all, this is still a legal requirement:
All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h).
Law RVLR reg 24
https://www.gov.uk/waiting-and-parking/ ... 248-to-252" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Just checked. Turn lights stalk to side lights. Switch off ignition.... Open door.....lights on alarm starts.... ignore it....get out and close door.....alarm stops.....side and tail lights stay on.....Lock car with remote...... Lights stay on.
Whether they are side lights, or parking lights, they are on.
Rick.

old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

mine definitely doesn't do this, just checked again.
side lights only come on with ignition on, go off when key pulled and no alarm bonging.
Leave mains on, key out, alarm bongs.
checked it again, side lights on, key out and alarm bonged and lights stayed on.
third time...as first time, no lights.
Faulty switch or BSI problem maybe?
I can live as is but would at least like to know what problem is.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Yep, if it worked once it should work every time mate. Haven't a clue what the fault is though. hope it's a cheap fix though. Would it be worth trying a BSI reset? They are known to have problems.

BSI reset...

Put the driver's window down, lift the bonnet and ensure all equipment is switched off.

Ensure all doors are closed and remove key from the ignition.

Wait for 3 minutes, disconnect the vehicle battery and wait 15 seconds.

Reconnect the vehicle battery, wait a further 10 seconds (do not open doors.).

Switch on the side lights through the driver's window.

Switch on the ignition and check system's functionality.

Hold lock button on key down for 10 seconds.

Remove key open & close door test central locking system.

Start the engine and complete the system's check.
Rick.

old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

BSI reset it is then for tomorrows play.......I'll let you know.
old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

BSI done.....not to sure if it did the trick?

It appears that to leave the side/parking lights on even if lights are on, when i remove key i then have to switch lights off then back to sides and then get the 'bonging'.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

It has changed something then. Maybe that's what mine do. I will check sometime, but not now, as it's piddling down.
Rick.