Handbreak cable snap Xantia HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Handbreak cable snap Xantia HDi

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Hi everyone,
Can someone give me advice on how easy/hard it is to change a handbreak cable on a '99 HDi xantia, last night mine snapped :(

Check the BOL it talks about drilling out rivets on a heat shield and popping off gear selector rods, removing the mid section exhaust, sounds like a real PITA and beyond something I'd try at home, as I've a MK2 xantia the gear selector rods are replaced by cables (i beleive), but is the heat shield still present? do I need to drill out rivets? how hard/easy is the cable routing, and why remove the exhaust?

I did a forum search didnt find anything, could be my bad searching skills.

any advice appreicated.

Thanks
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Handbreak cable snap Xantia HDi

Post by citronut »

hi Sid nice top see you back in these parts again,

no need to drill any rivets, just ease the heat shield away at the front N/S corner, enough so you can get a finger into the hole in the side of the cable compensator box to flick the hook end of the cable off of the compensator,

quite a simple job once you have been there
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Thanks Malcolm,
nice to be back :)
So no need to remove the heat shield, or the exhaust then, thats good.. any other tips, is cable routing fairly obvious or anything which is likely to catch me out?

Might try tackle this saturday if the weather is good
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Quick question. Which cable has failed? I have replaced both secondary cables on Gracie, and it wasn't a difficult task. I have no experience of the primary cable.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Good question,
I really don't have a clue, is there an easy way to tell?
I can't get under the car today, it will be dark by the time I'm done with work.

Symptons are handbreak totally inffectual, pulls all the way to the top with no resistance, no attempt to make the breaks come on.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sid, if yours is a 110 be aware that the handbrake cable on one side (Nearside I think) is longer than on other models (except the Activa, 2.1 and V6 - the big engine models) and is not generally available from the likes of GSF who only do cables suitable for the small engined models so do make sure what you are offered is the right ones.

Simon (Mandrake) has been here and can advice...

As said, the actual job of replacing them is a doddle :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello Sid,

There are three cables involved. The primary goes from the handbrake lever to the compensator/balancer, where the two secondary cables then go off to each of the front wheels. The normal place for a secondary cable to fail is near to its' wheel, where the cable passes through a guide loop (each cable passes through several loops on its' route, but it is the one mentioned that usually has the problem). The sleeving wears at this point, and (over time) it wears through enough to allow moisture (and dirt) in, which means the cable itself gets rusty. This can cause binding, and (eventually) the cable will fail. When either cable fails, the compensator cannot cope, and has the symptoms you describe.

I have not had to replace a primary cable, so I do not have any experience of this. I would guess (guess, mind you) that if this failed it would have the same feel.

The way I would check is to get the car up on ramps (or stands), chocked to stop it moving, get underneath with a 10mm socket, short extension bar and ratchet, and (near to the exhaust, about a foot back from the subframe) there is a heatshield. Remove this shield (two nuts), and you can see the compensator/balancer. Now pull on the handbrake, and have another look. If the compensator hasn't moved, it's the primary cable that has failed. However, if it has, but un-evenly, then a secondary cable has failed. IIRC the upper cable goes to the right wheel, while (obviously) the lower cable goes to the left wheel (but I am not sure of this, doubtless a more knowledgeable person will confirm or correct me on this). Assuming I am right, if the top of the compensator is canted forwards then it is the bottom cable that failed, and vice versa

When I replaced these cables recently on Gracie they cost me about £50 for the pair. It only took a couple of hours, and the most fiddly bit is threading the nipple onto the compensator.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

SPOT ON JAMES......! :-D :-D :-D
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Sid_the_Squid wrote:Hi everyone,
Can someone give me advice on how easy/hard it is to change a handbreak cable on a '99 HDi xantia, last night mine snapped :(

Check the BOL it talks about drilling out rivets on a heat shield and popping off gear selector rods, removing the mid section exhaust, sounds like a real PITA and beyond something I'd try at home, as I've a MK2 xantia the gear selector rods are replaced by cables (i beleive), but is the heat shield still present? do I need to drill out rivets? how hard/easy is the cable routing, and why remove the exhaust?
I don't know about the HD110, and it's probably different as the catalytic converter is different, but on my V6 the catalytic converter is so large I was unable to get sufficient access to the handbrake balancer box without removing the heat-shield, which is a bit of a PITA to be blunt, as you have to bend the shape of it to thread it out over the top of the exhaust, and one of the nuts that holds the balancer box is nearly impossible to get at. (Ratchet spanner highly recommended...)

I know some people say you can get a finger in the balance box through a hole in the side to unhook the old cable and hook the new one one, but I couldn't do it. Maybe you can on other models of Xantia. If you can do it without removing the heat shield thats all good, but be prepared to remove the heat shield as plan B...
Sid_the_Squid wrote:Good question,
I really don't have a clue, is there an easy way to tell?
I can't get under the car today, it will be dark by the time I'm done with work.

Symptons are handbreak totally inffectual, pulls all the way to the top with no resistance, no attempt to make the breaks come on.
Almost without doubt one of the cables will be broken near where it passes through the guide loop attached to the wheel hub, like this:
IMG_4643.jpg
Here is what was left that was initially still threaded into the hub:
IMG_4649.jpg
CitroJim wrote:Sid, if yours is a 110 be aware that the handbrake cable on one side (Nearside I think) is longer than on other models (except the Activa, 2.1 and V6 - the big engine models) and is not generally available from the likes of GSF who only do cables suitable for the small engined models so do make sure what you are offered is the right ones.

Simon (Mandrake) has been here and can advice...
Indeed Jim, getting the correct cables for a V6 (and HDI110 if its the same cables) was a real saga. :roll:

Sid, rather than duplicating what I've said elsewhere, have a read of the last post in the following thread:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 3&p=328811" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The summary is that GSF are able to supply the cable for the right hand side (but their part numbers are wrong on their website, confusing left and right cables!) while the left hand one which is unique to the V6/HDI110/Activa is only available from Citroen themselves. (Citroen no longer stock the right hand one) Full details and photos in that thread.
Sid_the_Squid wrote: any other tips, is cable routing fairly obvious or anything which is likely to catch me out?
It might be obvious, but take note of which way the two handbrake cables cross each other below the engine - its not obvious, and if they cross on the wrong side of each other (one goes above one below) they won't move smoothly as the steering turns which could lead to them snagging and pulling the handbrake on when turning on full lock. Check that both cables can slide sideways freely a few inches at the point where they curve around and cross each other.

If you're removing both cables at once take note of which one comes out of which side of the balancer box as this again affects the cable routing - there's more than one way to route the cables and cross them over each other and not all of them are optimal...I didn't take careful note and it took me quite a bit of trial and error to figure out the optimal routing to allow the cables to move freely.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Euro car parts / carparts4less do the correct NS cable for the HDi 110 - at least the one I got from them did the job OK. On the 110 HDi you need to remove the heat shield, but it's small, and easily removed by undoing one 10mm nut at the back, and then popping off the clip at the front. I have fitted 2 sets to mine, and both of the OS cables have been a bit short - they only work with the adjuster backed right off, but seem to be OK adjusted like that. Both cables doable in less than an hour - it's surprisingly easy :lol: Never heard of anyone having to replace a primary cable.
Richard W
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I didn't try carparts4less Richard, do they look the same as the ones in the picture below ?
IMG_0126.jpg
Sounds like they're supplying the same length cable for both sides if the right hand one is a bit short - there's a difference of about 20mm between the V6/HDI110 left cable and a right cable. In the above picture the top cable is the left hand cable for a small engined Xantia, the middle one is the left hand cable for the V6/HDI110 (big difference between the two) and the bottom one is the right cable for all Xantia's.

So if you had the middle length cable on both sides it would pull a bit tight on the right. At a pinch you might be able to get away with using the bottom long cable on both sides if that was all that was available, it would just make a slightly bigger loop where they cross.

The right cable I got from GSF and left cable from Citroen (bottom and middle cable in the picture respectively) are both a perfect length and fit for the V6.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The cables are different Simon - the RH cable has a heat protector on it. The previous one was from a different supplier, same 'fault' but works OK.
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

here are all the secondary cables listed on service citroen for MK1's

4745 G5
SECONDARY BRAKE CABLE
LEFT
LONG 1265
- EXCEPT BVM ML5T

4745 H5
LEFT
LONG 1295
- BVM ML5T

4745 G5
LEFT
LONG 1265

4745 G6
RIGHT
LONG 1335

and MK2

4745 G5
SECONDARY BRAKE CABLE
LEFT
LONG 1265
- BE3 UNTIL RPO 07972

LEFT
LONG 1265
- BE3R MANUAL GEARBOX SINCE RPO 07973

4745 H5
LEFT
LONG 1295
- BVM ML5T

LEFT
LONG 1295
- HP20 (AG)

4745 N3
LEFT
LONG 1285
- Auto gearbox AL4

4745 G6
SECONDARY BRAKE CABLE
RIGHT
LONG 1335
- EXCEPT INJECTION ES9J4

4745 J4
RIGHT
LONG 1365
- INJECTION ES9J4 AND LEFT HAND DRIVE

4745 J5
NFP
RIGHT
LONG 1335
- INJECTION ES9J4 AND RIGHT HAND DRIVE
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Hi all,
Thank you all so much for all the advice, its really excellent :)
I've done a simple test, car on high, full lock left, then full lock right, seeing which, if any, cable would become tight with the handbreak on.

Turns out the NS (passenger side) cable has snapped at the wheel, just as shown in the picture mandrake posted, the OS cable seems to still be in good condition.

So from what I understand as I've the 110 hdi I need the longer, less common NS cable which I can obtain from Euro car parts / carparts4less, or from Citroen (at no doubt twice the price). I'll get on the phone to euro car parts as there is a depo 2 miles from my house :)

Thankfully my car is de-catted, so hopefully enough space to get the heat shield off and put the new cable in... just got to find
a) a flat surface,
b) wait for the glorious british weather to swing back to sunshine, or at least stop raining ;)

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone :D
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Result! euro car parts say they will have a long NS cable for my car in the local depot by 14:00 :D now hoping for good weather Sunday.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx