Performance improvement?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tcb123

Performance improvement?

Post by tcb123 »

Hi,
Would I gain much by fitting a BX19 turbo exhaust system to a Non turbo bx19?
regards
Tom
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

I don't know if you could as they may have different fittings? If you can I doubt you would get anything at all-they only real way to improve your car's performance would be to optimize the pump settings but even then you wouldn't get much. Even if you could get a few bhp from it why would you bother, probably wouldn't notice it-I could be wrong tho:-D
Guru Meditation
tcb123

Post by tcb123 »

I think the only point that may cause a problem would be the manifold flange.
The reason for change was A because I have a spare system and B because it is a much bigger diameter than the standard 19 exhaust.
I figure I wont bother now if it will bring no worthwhile benefits.
regards
Tom
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Performance is all about getting as much air in and out of an engine as easily as possible combined with providing the right amount of fuel to give optimum combustion.
The larger diameter exhaust may well reduce the flow losses of the exhaust route to give a slight improvement in through flow. Maybe a high flow air filter from say K&N (about 35 quid) would reduce your induction losses too.
An improved through flow of air will need to have the fueling increased to match it. You may then get a couple more BHP and a bit more torque out of the unit.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Kev,
You say you have had the performance boosted on your Xantia, could you explain a little more please?
Neil
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I took it to Allard Turbo Sport. Paid 80 quid. They increased my boost from 0.8 bar to 1.15 bar. Then optimised the fuel delivery throughout the range.
It should now have 110 Bhp and around 175 lbft of torque (standard is 92 Bhp and 143 lbft torque).
I've recently sorted out my tickover speed too. This involves setting up the timing. And now it goes much better than it ever did. The beauty is, the screws on my existing set up have been turned. Nothing added.
I added a K&N filter element too. cost 34 quid. Fits in the standard air box.
My fuel efficiency seems a little better aswell. And, I don't smoke as much (trying to give it up and its working .. ha ha).