OBD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Neil TM

OBD

Post by Neil TM »

Does anyone know if these people and product is any good? I also have a petrol corsa and probably other assorted children's cars to sort out and don't want to spend more than I have to on diagnostic equipment.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Engine-Di ... 19d9e2132a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers, Neil TM (Citroen C5 1.6HDi VTR estate 56)
Chlorate
My Cars:

Re: OBD

Post by Chlorate »

Seems dubious to me.
For that price I would expect a generic fault code reader and not a lot else.

Garages can spend a huge amount of money on the sort of diagnostic equipment he's offering. Although all modern cars comply with OBDII etc. it doesn't necessarily mean that any old bit of kit can make sense of what fault information the ECU is spitting out (they all use different codes for different things), and not all ECUs are fully tunable through the OBD port either.

I would be cautious, he has a quite a few bits of positive feedback though...I would say it's probably a con.

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Agreed, reading it, it looks like they want an out of eBay transaction for the actual product? Also with it being unnamed makes me very suspect.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Neil TM

Post by Neil TM »

Ben82 wrote:Agreed, reading it, it looks like they want an out of eBay transaction for the actual product? Also with it being unnamed makes me very suspect.
All good points, thanks for those replies. All sounds very good apart from the price being too good to be true, oh and a couple of folk couldn't get some of the software to work on win7 despite it saying it is compatible. And they've been trading under a month it seems.

Which leaves me looking for advice as to what to get that will do my 2006 C5 1.6HDi, my daughter's 1.0l 3 cylinder petrol Corsa (T reg), other daughters S reg Fiesta and who knows what else. I'm assuming all I need is an OBD to USB lead and appropriate software loaded on laptop for whatever the car is? I want to be able to do things like reset EOLYS on the C5 and interrogate the corsa to see if the timing chain has jumped using the info from crankshaft and camshaft sensors, so a bit more than just reading code numbers.

Any advice appreciated, thanks, Neil TM

2006 C5 1.6HDi VTR estate - much hated
Previous 1.9TD Xantia I should have kept forever
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Neil TM, where are you based? There is a map available that shows roughly where members with Lexias are based, so find the ones nearest to you to help with the C5;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

The OBD readers I have (for non Citroen applications) all came with CD's containing a number of software packages. All of them were either trial versons with very limited and restricted functionality or required registration and payment before they would work at all. Ok as the CD was "free" with the hardware but virtually all the trial software is downloadable from the net, if I had paid for the disc I might have been a bit upset. The limited functionality programmes are OK at reading fault codes and some will even reset them but I'm yet to find a "free" or cheap package which does anything more than that and give a few real time sensor outputs. I'm sure these programmes are not cheap to write, require different versions for different manufacturers and it is hardly a mass market, why would we expect them to be available for a few quid.