Need Advice on Changing Anti-rollbar bar link

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

begins
My Cars:

Need Advice on Changing Anti-rollbar bar link

Post by begins »

Hi all,

I would like to find out from the experts here if my C5 when going over high humps/bumps have knocking sound, does it mean that it is time to change the front anti-bar roll bar? I read from somewhere that it is a common problem in C5II, true?

Also, when I going up slope, when going through high humps/bumps, the knocking sound will come from behind instead.

Otherwise, on even road or when going over low humps/bumps, there will be no knocking sound at all.

Kindly advise me and Thank you very much.

Regards,
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Need Advice on Changing Anti-rollbar bar link

Post by myglaren »

Most probably the droplinks rather than the ARB.

Presuming that you have checked for loose stuff floating around (the jack is the usual cause) then:

From the rear it could be the trailing arm bearings. Have a look at the car from behind, car on level ground and at normal ride height.
If the rear wheels incline towards one another at the top - //===\\ like that, then the bearings are compromised.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

As Steve said, drops links are common on the C5. However, they tend to give a rattling over smaller bumps and coarse road surfaces. To test for a failed drop link, put the car in high, feel around the front wheel to find the drop link and hold onto it while someone rocks the car from side to side, pushing on the roof above the windows. You should feel the noise through your hand. Check both sides if you are unsure which one it is.

However, a knocking/cracking noise when going over larger bumps is likely to be the rear radius bearings. Not uncommon. This seems to have a strange ability to sound as though the knocking is coming from the front when in fact it is the rear. Try driving over bumps in the intermediate suspension height setting and see if the noise improves or worsens. If its drop links it wont really make a difference.

C5s with worn rear bearings dont always have a lean to the rear wheels.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
begins
My Cars:

Post by begins »

Hi all,

Thank you very much for the valuable information.

I will find out more and to get back later.

Regards,
begins
My Cars:

Post by begins »

Hi all,

In the end, I went ahead to change the drop links and ARB bushings for the front The knocking sound has gone from the front but the I’m still getting the knocking noise from the rear. So it could be that both front and the rear are affected.

If I need to address the problem coming from the rear, which are the parts numbers that I need to order?

Kindly advise me and Thank you very much.

Regards,