Removal of pin from Xsara BE4 gearbox crank lever

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

UFO
My Cars:

Removal of pin from Xsara BE4 gearbox crank lever

Post by UFO »

Is there some magic trick to getting the retaining pin out of the clutch lever crank arm on the top of the BE4 gearbox? It has me flumoxed as we cannot pull it forward and it seems only logical that this kotter pin type device has to be punched through.

Any ideas please?
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You mean the pin with one threaded end?

I don't actually think it's tapered, just a tight fit. Try belting it in the direction of the threads, with a drift. On the threaded side, block the blows with a small deep socket and lump hammer.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Removal of pin from Xsara BE4 gearbox crank lever

Post by RichardW »

It's flipping tight! Had trouble on my mate's 306 box - despite giving it some grief with an Oxy-acetylene kit, the only way we could get get it out was to partially drill it, then drift it out with a big hammer, opposite direction to the thread would pull it IYSWIM! No idea what the thread on the end is supposed to achieve - can't imagine it would be any good for pulling the new one in either.
Richard W
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

Ah well - you're making me feel better that we're not being complete idiots! 'box is coming out again tonight so we will attack it on the garage floor. :twisted:

Thanks
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

Gave up in disgust last night and was going to take the 'box to a local engineering workshop to have them extract the pin. Then I phoned a Sydney parts supply place and found the whole new kit, rod, arm, bushes and festering pin was $116. DONE! Ordered and it will be here tomorrow.

First step tomorrow arvo - angle grinder on the rod and pull the damn thing out of the box.
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Be carefull, too much hammering can smash the bell housing , make sure you support the arm before belting it free with a drift. If you put a strong support under the arm, it will also make sure that your hammering shock forces are not wasted.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

What i normally do with these is put a small metal snug fitting tube over the threaded end & leave some of the thread showing then screw a nut & washer onto the thread which draws it out as you tighten it, you can only do this a little bit as theres not a lot of thread, you then you remove the tube & put a longer one on to give you more thread & repeat till its nearly all the way out, you can just drift the last little bit.
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

I don't normally try to hard to get the pin out, I've cracked the casing before. I just pull the lever up and cut the shaft with an angle grinder and buy a new shaft and lever. This particularly applies to the MA citroen/peugeot boxes as the casings crack really easily and ecp stcock the new shaft/lever assembly for about £15.