These any good?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

These any good?

Post by qprdude »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diesel-Tuning ... 1876762%26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have absolutely no experience with these things. I know a proper re-map is the way to go, but as a cheaper alternative, are these tuning boxes likely to work, or more to the point, are they likely to do any damage? I'm just wondering if anyone has used them with any success. :?:
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: These any good?

Post by Peter.N. »

I bought one for my C5 2.2 although not that make, in the vain hope that it would improve the fuel consumption, it didn't of course but it didn't half go.

Peter
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

So it made a noticeable difference in performance Peter?
Did it use more fuel? To be honest, I'm a bit worried that the increased power might have a detrimental effect on the clutch and DMF.
Rick.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes, it pulled like a train, but I don't normally drive like that, with my normal gentle driving style it didn't make any difference to the consumption but it will of course if you use the extra power. I took it off the car and still have it but the car is on ebay at the moment and I have included the chip.

Peter
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Thanks Peter. I'm not sure I need the extra power as I have the 2.2 173 HDI. I was kind of hoping for more MPG at normal speeds. I sometimes like to buzz along on the motorway but most of my driving is local(ish). I don't really need to get from 0-60 in the blink of an eye anymore.
Rick.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Have not experienced that engine, mine is the old 136hp, I have solved the economy problem now - I bought a 2.0. 110hp.

Peter
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

I wanted a new shape 2.0l but I couldn't find a low mileage exclusive with full leather and Sat Nav, so I snapped up the 2.2 as soon as I had a test drive.
Rick.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I have an exclusive leather interior in mine, I put it in the 2.2 first but I have just removed it and fitted it into the 2.0. I don't think the leather seats are any more comfortable but the electric controls give a much wider range of adjustments, the driving seat still wasn't high enough at the front for me, left my knees flapping about so I put some extra spacers underneath - just right now.

I buy high mileage ones - there cheap :-D

Peter
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

I needed the heated ones and the massage drivers seat for my old bones Peter. This will be my last big car, and I wanted the best I could get. Having retired and still with two cars, I think next year or the one after, both cars will go, and a newish small(ish) one will replace them. The C5 is too big for the boss lady, and her Clio is too small for me. We don't need two cars now, but it's so hard to lose the freedom they allow. I suspect something Focus size will be the compromise.
Rick.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

We are in the same situation but we have a 406 Hdi estate also which is big enough for me and the wife doesn't mind driving it, the handling is excellent but the ride leaves a lot to be desired - hence the C5. We have run a string of hydropnumatics from CXs in the '80s and for the last 15 years XMs.

Two cars are almost essential for us as we live in the sticks a mile and a half from the nearest bus route, and that only runs on a Wednesday. Our son only lives about three miles away so if we get to the state where neither of us can drive we should have assistance. The wife doesn't mind big cars so she drives either of them and at the moment I can still repair them

C5s are so cheap now that if something goes seriously wrong you can throw it away and buy another one, I used to do that with XMs - no longer I'm afraid.

Peter
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

I gave up looking after my cars a few years ago. I had a full engineering and welding shop to use , with all the equipment. I then moved to a big multi-national oil company that frowned ('Elf n safety) on any non company operations. Having retired (early) as a lubrication engineer, I now have a short drive and a one car garage (where sits the Clio) and after years of lower back problems I don't do much more than oil change and fluid top ups. I have a three year warranty with my C5 so hopefully that will see me through until it's time to downsize. I see Citroen are offering some good service deals such as Interim service for £99, full service for £199 and even a cambelt service for £295.
We are in a smallish town but we have a local bus every hour to take us into the centre of the town, where we can get a bus to the city every 20 minutes, and all free! Son and family live in the city of Aberdeen but daughter and family live in Surrey, hence the C5.
Rick.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I have always done my motoring on a tight budget, I used to do diesel conversions before you could buy decent diesel cars, first one in 1959, Perkins 4/99 engine into a Vauxhall Cresta - oh how simple they were in those days. Never been able to afford a new car until now, I wouldn't consider one though, would take to large a slice of our pension money and you can get decent cars quite cheaply now - well citroens anyway, paid £300 for my 2.2 and £550 for the 2.0. that was to expensive.

I can see the sense in buying new if you don't repair them, but all the while I can I will. I recently bought a new TV with a 5 year guarantee, first new one I have ever bought for myself, although having been a TV engineer for 50 years I can't repair these modern ones.

Peter
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Ah , the wonders of modern technology. We have a 42" Plasma, bought about three years ago. The best thing about it is the heat it gives off saves a fortune in central heating. I have to admit to a liking for computer stuff though, and have just bought my first android, Google nexus 7 to play with. I got fed up trailing my 17" business laptop around when on holiday.
My very first venture with cars was when I part exchanged my Morris Oxford (first car) , for a Ford popular with a blown engine. With a bit of help from a scrap dealer, I fitted a 1200cc Cortina engine with a Corsair gearbox into it. Had to cut the centre console to get the gearstick into the cabin, folded it back and pop riveted it in place and covered the lot in mastic then heavy household carpet.
That cat did several trips from St Austell in Cornwall, where I was working, to my parents home in Northeast Scotland. Not a comfortable drive by any means!
Like you, we have to think carefully before committing pension money , and I suspect we might even go down the "cheap and expendable" route when the time comes.
Rick.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Yep, that sounds like the story of my life. My first car was a '39 Prefect, I had the whole range of big Vauxhalls and several Oxfords, three of which had diesel engines fitted, a Mk4 'all metal' estate, a Mk2 saloon and a Mk2 estate with the wood like the Minor, I fitted a diesel into that.

We come up to Scotland every year, have done since the '70s, stayed at a cottage between Wick and Thurso for 17 years then moved south a bit to the Lairg area where we shall be going again in May.

Peter
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

You have been further north on the mainland than we have then Peter. I think Dingwall is our furthest, although we love Inverness as a place to visit as it is only two and a half hours away(and it has the Citroen branch of the garage I bought the C5 from) We will be heading in the opposite direction. Surrey at the end of April till mid May, then back again in mid June for the birth of our 5th Grandchild.
The 39 Prefect, would that have been the "sit up and beg" style? My missus passed her test in one of those. :shock:
Mine was a 1955 saloon model with the three gear "long shift". Terrible wipers.
Rick.