broken cam belt xantia td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

broken cam belt xantia td

Post by citroenxm »

Well.. the dreaded call came through from a customer.. ... i just heard a thud and all stopped ..."

went to have a look tonight and yes cam belt snapped.. However.. this was no old belt.. the power grip name and part number still very well viewable which to me means an not so old belt..

so a closer look at the belt once recovered then showed lots of little crease cracks etc.. it looked more like water and oil contamination, but more water.. ive not got down to the pump yet to see if there's tell tail signs..

after a bit more and removing the rocker cover to see further damage Im presented with two short cam shafts and a broken cap bearing on the gearbox end.. after cam shaft removal we also have two bent or buckled valve stems as they have both stayed open or pushed down with the cam out... so delivering the news to the owner and a healthy price for repair, i was surprised at the decision to go ahead remove/replace head and repair...

so apart from being knocked sideways with other events which has totally buggered up what i should be dooing for people, and rounding up parts etc Im not wholey into this either and i think a head swap will be a bit easyer then messing with cams and cap bearings..

so that's another hurdle in the way of the Xm.... :-\ ..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: broken cam belt xantia td

Post by Peter.N. »

I had something similar on a BX Paul but I don't think the belt had ever been changed, fortunately I had a spare camshaft but I took the head to an engineering firm to have it repaired due to the difficulty of setting the valve clearances - unless you have a large quantity of shims of known thickness. Hope things improve for you soon.

Peter