ZX Exhaust woes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sl4yer
My Cars:

ZX Exhaust woes

Post by Sl4yer »

Just when I thought everything was sorted, the exhaust fell off my ZX today. (BTW, its a 1994 1.4i with nearly 75000 miles on it).
When I set off today, it sounded very loud. I thought 'It must be holed, no real problem' and carried on my way. When leaving the local multi-storey, it finally came loose and started scraping on the floor. A look underneath showed that the whole midpipe and cat was hanging from the engine end, the pipe having failed at the entry to the backbox. Pushing the pipe back into the backbox gained me another 10 yards, then the wife called for the RAC. They tied the pipe to the back axle to get us home.
Two questions:
1. Does anybody have good experiences with any of the K**k-fit type chains? I need this fixed tomorrow (Sunday) so its going to have to be one of those.
2. A break in the pipe shouldn't cause the midpipe to hang down, so obviously its mount has failed. I haven't seen underneath in any detail yet so: Is the midpipe mount welded to the underside of the car, or is it bolted on? (I've got a feeling it may have 'disappeared', much as the alternator belt tensioner did a year or so ago!)
Thanks for any replies,
James
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If your setup is similar to my 2.1 Xantia, you'll find that there is no support along the length of the pipe from when it leaves the manifold, until it reaches the back box. The stub on the front end of the rear box appears to be a weakness, fairly quickly rusts through, then when it finally comes adrift, the length of pipe from the engine is free to lash about. I found that when my pipe leading into the box rusted through, the silencer itself was in good condition. It's a fairly easy job to get a new rear box from GSF and fit it yourself.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Actually, it is similar to the Xantia mentioned by JohnD - there is no support along the mid-pipe (naughty Haynes [}:)]). I find that worrying, given the consequences if the weld to the silencer fails.
Got the tail-pipe done for £61 at Kwik-fit, which isn't too bad. I was going to get the mid-pipe as well, but they advised against it because it was still in good condition - not like Kwik-fit at all!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

James -
That's certainly a Kwik-fit outlet who's name & address deserves to be mentioned here [8D]
Jon

Post by Jon »

The midpipe on the Zx14 isn't supported at all in its entire length from where its attached to the downpipe with the flexi coupling to where it joins the rear silencer.
They rust through just before the join to the rear silencer, then fall down and drag on the road!
This happened to my mate once when we were coming home on a a very wet M25 at night. By some miracle(someone must look over me) we found an old bit of rope by the crash barrier on the hard shoulder, tied it round the anti roll bar to support the exhaust and (noisely) made it back to Reading. Got soaked lying under the car tying it on. [:p]
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

LOL! Now I feel better that mine broke in the local multi-storey car park!
The Kwik-fit was on Whitworth Road in Rochdale BTW...either they've got their act together after the bad press of a few years ago, or they couldn't be bothered because it was Sunday. They didn't even try to sell me new shock absorbers! Seriously, they were OK, but the tyre prices they were quoting to people while I was waiting weren't good... But I'm happy until the next problem arises [;)]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>
They rust through just before the join to the rear silencer, then fall down and drag on the road!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes, they do - mine went on my new 2.1 Xantia at only 39K and less than three years old. Looking back at my old maintenance schudules for our previous XUD's, the rear box on my BXTZD lasted 99K and 8 years, one 205D did 82K and 14 years, and the other 205 did 80K in 10 years. I wonder why??
Jon

Post by Jon »

I don't know John, I have a feeling that maybe its something to do with the Catalyst and EGR? [?]
I only mention this because the ZX TD is still on the original 1993 rear silencer at 123800 miles as I write (I replaced the front to rear pipe last year at 107,000 as it was badly corroded where it met the rear box , although it was still quite strong and did not look like it was going to fall off). I was under the Berlingo the other week checking it over at 18,000 and was alarmed to see the amount of corrosion at the end of the front to rear pipe where it clamps to the rear box. This has EGR and a cat.
If it looks like its going to fail I'm going to weld a repair secttion in there as theres no way I'm paying out for a complete downpipe with cat on a diesel car that as I write is less than 2 years old with a low mileage.[:(!]
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

£61 sounds about right for "our" cars at Kwikfit. If you have one of the loss leader type of car, the ones they advertise cheap exhausts for in the paper, they can be very cheap indeed (£19 for a full Fiesta system), but you'll probably need new shocks and brakes all round as well!
Expect to change the tailbox again 1 week after the warranty expires, as I have found them to be the cheapest thinnest boxes you can get.
Check that your centre pipe is as sound as they said it was. I've found ZX's suffer from severe corrosion where the pipe bends up towards the tailbox joint. My last one looked OK until I was just about to board a cross channel ferry. (I too found a bit of rope beside the road - odd that isn't it). The cynic in me suspects that Kwikfit only had a tail box in stock and would rather sell you just that than have to order a centre pipe and possibly have you go to another garage instead.
For DIY fitment I prefer Bosal, they fit first time without banging on the floor of the and last a good long while (and cost me £58 for a FULL system including fittings).
Anyone else have any recommendations for good exhausts?
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sl4yer</i>

1. Does anybody have good experiences with any of the K**k-fit type chains?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes, once.
Chapeltown, Leeds. (about 5 or 6 years ago)
My wife took a BX in because the exhaust seemed noisy. They said everything was OK and didn't try to sell her anything, not even a 'free' brake check. [:0][^]
I should have rung Guinness book of records.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by arry_b</i>

Expect to change the tailbox again 1 week after the warranty expires, as I have found them to be the cheapest thinnest boxes you can get.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Quite possibly - the last one is about 2 1/2 years old, and they come with a 2-year warranty!
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by arry_b</i>

The cynic in me suspects that Kwikfit only had a tail box in stock and would rather sell you just that than have to order a centre pipe and possibly have you go to another garage instead.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I don't think so - I saw the centre pipe and it looked OK. And they said they had one when I rang up. (Of course, you don't ever go to Kwik-fit or ATS without ringing for a quote first!)
There is a Bosal fitter just near my work - I might try them next time (if the thing is still roadworthy in two years time!). I might have tried them this time if work wasn't 170 miles from home [:(]