C5 2.0 HPi water in oil.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xenton

C5 2.0 HPi water in oil.

Post by xenton »

Guilty of not checking the oil for months (have been willing the car to die due to the dreaded HP fuel problem). Anyway checked it and found water in the oil, but the coolant level hasn't dropped and no sign of oil in the water. I suspect water has gotten in via the air intake in all the very wet weather we had a while back. I've had this happen on a few cars via the pipe that links the top of the engine to the air intake (the name fails me). I need some tips on how to get the gunk out of the aforementioned pipe. Also will be doing a flush and oil change, is it an easy job to remove the sump to make sure I get all the crud out? Lastly, where is the air intake, is it stupidly low, and is it easy to move higher up?

Thanks for reading.

With regards to the HP problem - I have given up, the HP pump has been replaced but could have gone again, so it could be the regulator or the sensor on the HP rail, but even lexia can't narrow it down with any degree of certainty, and cost of parts is very high to be guessing, and another working model to swap parts over is almost impossible as most 2.0 HPi C5's are dead or dying with the same problem, which also means second hands parts are generally impossible to find and would most likely be useless anyways.
Mark D.
2001 C5 2.0 HPi exec.
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Re: C5 2.0 HPi water in oil.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Can't offer much help, just to let you know your question's not being ignored really..........
My petrol bx's would gum up their engine breather pipes etc , I was always cleaning out the mayonaise-like stuff despite long journeys. Some must have gotten in the oil but I doubt now that it did any harm - the engines went on toward 200k no probs last time I heard.
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
xenton

Post by xenton »

Thanks for the reply, I was going to do an oil change in summer anyway, so will just do it a bit early. I will flush as well, may even run very cheap oil for a 100 miles and change again to make sure all the craps out. It is pretty bad, the dipstick was coated as well as all the breather pipes, otherwise I would have just cleaned those.
Mark D.
2001 C5 2.0 HPi exec.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Condensation from too many short journeys or car sitting in garage? Worst case scenario , cylinder head gasket? slight crack between water and oil channels? Wouldn't take too much water to show emulsified oil.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
xenton

Post by xenton »

I have not lost any water and no sign of any oil in the water. I mostly make short journeys to and from work (about 10 miles).Cpuld try a longer journey see if it burns some of the water off, if not will have to change oil and keep and eye on it, I hadn't checked it for month, so it could of been a gradual build up of condensation.
Mark D.
2001 C5 2.0 HPi exec.