Is it just me....or is it rudeness?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Re: Is it just me....or is it rudeness?

Post by Northern_Mike »

I'm not even 40 yet! Not quite anyway..not long to go though!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Manners aren't age related if the other guests at the Roman banquet Danielle and I had this evening are anything to go by.
We were the youngest there by about 20 years and we were the only people to really acknowledge the waiters or pay attention during the history of Wroxeter talk.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

My Great Aunt has a saying; "Honey attracts more bees than vinegar", and my Mother dragged me up (kicking and screaming) to have good manners. Courtesy costs nothing, and can pay dividends.

James, aged 48

I have, in the past, worked at Royal Ascot (looking after the 250 odd tills). When it was quiet, and there was nothing in the workshop to fix, I used to wander around the various bars/outlets that we looked after, chatting to the staff (provided they were not busy). The number of times they said it was nice to be acknowledged as people (and not treated as part of the furniture) was high. I got to know people, they knew who was at the end of the radio when they had problems, and I usually got a free meal at the end of the day (that the normal punters would pay £50+ for), and just by being a friendly face.

PS if anybody is tempted to go to Royal Ascot, the best day (atmosphere wise) is the Saturday. Thursday is Ladies Day, and this is when the really snooty (and snotty) people turn up, Friday has several nicknames (Bankers Day (can be rhymming slang), Slappers Day, and Chavscot to name but a few) and the police increase their presence by 10%, but the Saturday is family day, and there usually is no trouble.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 04 Mar 2013, 23:18, edited 2 times in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:My Great Aunt has a saying; "Honey attracts more bees than vinegar", and my Mother dragged me up (kicking and screaming) to have good manners. Courtesy costs nothing, and can pay dividends.
Same here James, although I occasionally get names wrong :-)

Got your message by the way, but I've been working nights and forgot to reply!

I always make the effort to speak to everyone who does something for me , especially people like the cleaners here in the office who get treated a bit shabbily by some others. I ended up being good friends with the Polish girl who cleaned our offices at my last place, and a few of her team. Just because someone does a crappy job doesn't mean they are any less of a person. Some people need to realise this..
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Ez m8 u edt ur 1st post 2 includ a poll. U can choose hw many options n hw long it runs 4
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Xaccers »

addo wrote:Ez m8 u edt ur 1st post 2 includ a poll. U can choose hw many options n hw long it runs 4
:gtfo:
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Northern_Mike

Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:Ez m8 u edt ur 1st post 2 includ a poll. U can choose hw many options n hw long it runs 4
<wipes turd on screen>
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Bingo! Two bites from one post. :mrgreen:

I personally have greater concerns than 'manners" per se - not that I dispute their pleasant effects when correctly and willingly applied. I believe that aside from sheer ignorance, the brusqueness is often a shield against insecurity. We have begat a generation and a half of people who no longer can envisage or give credence to the idea of "working your way up" and to compound the problem, for things they do not know, they do not know who to ask, or possess the learned mental processes to digest reasoning. I don't for one second condone ignorance, nor offensive behaviour - but feel many of the contributing elements are in front of us.
trx

Post by trx »

I am new here and my second post was to ask for help being nearer 60 than 50 these new fangled diesels with a brain just go right over my head :shock:
But i will always say thanks for any help because its good manners maybe its an age thing i dont know,but this is one of the best forums i have been on must have got about 20 replies to my question =D> and it was only my second post.
Been on forums where you need to have 50 posts before people think you deserve to be helped or spoken to,trouble is some people will go out and buy a car with problems find a forum get the answers and vanish till they either get more problems or want to post a forsale ad and move on to another make of car and another forum.
Anyway i think this place is great and will hang around if you all dont mind :wink:
Dave
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

I think the best way to become accepted in ANY forum, is to introduce yourself first, as you would face to face. Most forums have a section for introducing yourself. The problem is, many new users burst on to the forum with :- "Need help, My car won't start. Tried everything but no joy. Any idea what I can try"?, or similar.
Quite often without giving any details of the car. Sometimes, this can be due to not being familiar with car forums, but honestly, would the same people just jump in to a group in the pub and say that without at least introducing themselves first.
The section for introductions is there specifically to give your username some background, and to start off on a friendly courteous footing.
I'm not convinced that rudeness is age related at all. Some people are just a bit aggressive and unthinking, no matter what age they are.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
mendedit
My Cars:

Post by mendedit »

I would guess most people join a site like this because they have a problem with their motor and
are looking for help, a main reason for forums like this one in the first place.
Everyone is different, some get there help (or not) then go, others hang around, some say thanks some don't.
I must say that the older I get the (slightly) less polite I've become only because others don't bother.
Let's say you go into a part's shop nowadays and ask for the part you want, ending with please.
said part arrives you pay say thanks or thankyou or Ta!
what do you get in return? - NOTHING or even a look as if your a wet rag or something.
So it's easier to say nothing unless they are polite first.
AND don't get me started on the woman I held a door open for once and got a load of verbal,
and a heap of other similar such times.
So it doesn't mean a person has to be an uncaring sod, maybe just keeps their head down.
The world is full of them and a lot are in
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

I think the point is, if you receive free advice, the least you can do is say thanks. It's not a matter of keeping your head down, it's a matter of common decency. Yes , motoring forums are there to swap banter with fellow owners and to give or get advice , but that doesn't mean it's acceptable to take your fellow members for granted. There is NEVER an excuse for failing to thank someone for help, it's as simple as that!
I'm afraid I can't agree that it doesn't mean a person is an uncaring sod, it means they are ignorant.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
mendedit
My Cars:

Post by mendedit »

I'm sorry to say it but - this country HAS changed and politness if not gone altogether yet, it will be,
Once the Old 'uns are gone that is,
Same as religion.
mendedit
My Cars:

Post by mendedit »

God replaced by money,
Politeness replaced by selfishness.
Hole in sand replaced by head in sand.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

mendedit wrote:I'm sorry to say it but - this country HAS changed and politness if not gone altogether yet, it will be,
Once the Old 'uns are gone that is,
Same as religion.
I disagree. I know plently of polite, well brought up young people. There always have and always will be rude people in society.

Hopefully you are right about religion.