Report on MAF cleaning

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Report on MAF cleaning

Post by isisalar »

I was asking for advice last week re cleaning the MAF due to high fuel consumption on my HDI Xantia, thanks for the replies.
I cleaned it with the switch cleaner, and mindful of the warning about leaving oily residue which I saw after I'd done the job, i resolved to do it again with contact cleaner asap(today), Maplin's had run out of contact cleaner last week! There was an immediate improvement in driveability and performance. I've been working less than a mile from home this week so hadn't really even got the car properly warm until today when I had to do a round trip of about 20 miles, this confirmed the massive improvement in driveability, the car is now able to pull cleanly from less than 1500 rpm and take advantage of the extremely long gearing. It now drives like a completely different car. I'm sure the mpg is going to improve significantly.
HOWEVER halfway home I felt a sudden loss of power, the engine symbol on the dash came on and I experienced limp mode for the first time. Having got home and re started it a few times the light remained. I went on a few errands and the limp mode seemed to be no more, it was driving fine but the light was still on. Went down to Maplins and on the way the light went out. Got home cleaned with contact cleaner road tested and all seems fine. One thing that may be relevant is that I had neglected to tighten the jubilee clip between the MAF and the trunking last week.
Any idea's anybody?
Also I couldn't for the life of me work out how to separate the electrical connector and did the job in situ.
Kind regards
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Report on MAF cleaning

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

On Gracie I had to disconnect the MAF sensor (to remove the air filter box). It is NOT a push to release clip, it lifts to release the connector. You might find a small flat bladed screwdriver helpful.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

You might find that the MAF has come to the end of its life. I cleaned mine early last year with cellulose thinners and the a few months later experienced the power loss, which I found out last week was the MAF, after loads of false leads ... EGR, Electrovalve Injectors and fuel filter. I got a MAF from here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261143233220? ... 1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Offered him £25 and he accepted, much to my surprise.
I thought I couldn't go wrong at that price.
Hope this helps,
Chris
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Thanks for that link, I've bookmarked it. Considering the massive improvement in performance now it's clean, I can imagine how bad it would be if it failed, and considering the modest cost and the easiness of the job it's certainly worth trying if the engine's misbehaving.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)