codes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lorraine
My Cars:

codes

Post by lorraine »

were thinking about looking at this car citroen xantia TD estate, 1996 N reg.the thing is someone took it for a test drive(well went to)but entered the keypad codes wrong so alas it wont start.can this be reset or does it need a new engine management system[?]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If the code was just entered wrongly before trying to start it, then it will lock up for about one hour, then simply enter the correct code and it will start.
If the code was being changed and the person doing it has messed up, i.e. ended up changeing the original code to one that they don't know or can't remember, the car will be impossible to start until the security electronics on the injection pump have been either removed, or if doing the job properly, replaced.
This requires the removal of the pump from the engine, not easey for the casual diy'er.
Dave
lorraine
My Cars:

Post by lorraine »

from what the chap has told us this other bloke entered it many many times and tried to clear it but messed it up futher.....we have been told if we manually pull the engine stop over the car should start???? with it being a diesel
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

You have been told a load of old tosh, if the correct code can't be entered and the system has not been to pieces in any way, then it absolutely will not start, if you could simply go under the bonet and yank a lever it wouldn't be much of an immobiliser, and this immobiliser does what its there for.
Unless you can get the stop solenoid to lift by energising it (get 12 volts to it) then you have not got a chance, and the stop solenoid is located under a hardened steel cover that is held in place by security shear head bolts, these are difficult enough to get out when the pump is off the vehicle, they are impossible to remove when the pump is still attached, thus the car IS IMMOBILISED.
Dave