Xantia suspension pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Xantia suspension pipe

Post by RichardW »

Ha ha.... :roll: 'Cos I was talking about it ((here), the supply pipe to the rear off side unit has gone - it's rusted through where there's a clip on the subframe just before it gets to the cylinder :twisted: . The pipe to cylinder joint looks interesting to say the least, so it might be time to twist after all! Other end goes into the antisink valve somewhere. Ah joy.... #-o
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: Xantia suspension pipe

Post by RichardW »

Got it off. Rounded the union on the cylinder with the pipe spanner, then failed with the gas pliers, so I took the sparewheel and cradle out to get a bit more access, and after it had a discussion with Mr S.Tilson it saw the error of its ways and came undone :-D Pipe didn't turn and promptly sheared off, letting me know that the pressure in the rear suspension was not fully released..... :roll: The other end on the AS valve came out easy with the pipe spanner. There's a place in Edinburgh that can make pipes up, so off to get one tomorrow, and get it back on.

Not too bad actually - this is only the second suspension pipe that has let go in >300k of LHM suspended motoring - the last was the pump to regulator pipe on my first (1.4) BX, due to not having the restraining bolt fitted, and a flat accumulator. Think it has been weeping a few days as I thought it looked low at the back a couple of days after work, and there are some tell tale patches on the drive (although rather swamped by the larger patch that is there now!).
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: Xantia suspension pipe

Post by RichardW »

Sorted. Citroen Services in Edinburgh were unable to find their machine, but David Hallworth kindly made me a pipe, so I had a run over to his this morning. Now that is what I call a WORKSHOP..... :-D Pipe fitted and we're back in service till the next one goes. Foolishy tried to check the tyre pressure in the spare, but unscrewing the valve cap just resulted in the entire centre of the valve coming out :roll: The tyre is dated wk 42 2000 though, so must have been one originally supplied with the car - I think I took it off the back after it had run at least 100k miles! Got one of my old winter tyres out of the garage which will do as an emergency spare - last time I had these on, the handling was awful, but then I realised they were made in 1986 or something, so maybe that is not surprising!!
Richard W