Crankshaft Pulley

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tonyfarricker
My Cars:

Crankshaft Pulley

Post by Tonyfarricker »

can anyone help please I have changed my drive belt an tensioners on my diesel C5 estate thinking it will cure a rattling sound comiming from that area, but it hasnt don, I now think it may be the Crankshaft Pulley causing me the noise, what I need to know can this be canged easly or will it knock the timing out if i remove it and how easy are they to remove do I need special tools.
thanks in advance for any info Tony
Citroen C5 HDI LX 2lt Estate 2002
Bick

Re: Crankshaft Pulley

Post by Bick »

you can just remove the pully without it affecting the timing. But the pully bolt will be tread locked and the best way to get it undone is to warm the bolt head up with a blow lamp - this will melt the tread lock - mind you it will still be tight so its easyer to do with a air gun but if you dont have this a big bar with it in gear with someone on the foot brake will do it.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The way I undo them will probably be frowned on but I put a socket on the bolt with a long flexy bar which will reach the ground in front of the pulley and just blip the starter, usually undoes it instantly.

Peter
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Have a search on Youtube, I'm sure there was an excellent video of a chap changing a crank pulley on an HDI.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Tonyfarricker
My Cars:

Post by Tonyfarricker »

than you guys i have seen a few videos on youtube and the jub seems easy enough as long has the bolt comes out of the centre.
Citroen C5 HDI LX 2lt Estate 2002
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Once the bolt is out people often still struggle to get the pulley off as it is normally stuck onto the crank. You can fabricate a puller with a strong bar and some decent M6 bolts (you should see the holes for them on the pulley). I tried a different method removing mine this evening. Take a claw hammer, place the claw under the lip of the pulley at the 6 o'clock position. Rest the end of the hammer against the thick prodruding metal bit on the sump so that the handle is pointing up the way. Pull down on the handle to lever against the pulley, and then gently tap the hammer side with another hammer. Don't use a lot of force, it's the shock that seems to nudge the pulley forward a little each time. About 5 minutes of tapping and it came free no problem, with no damage to anything.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Note that most (if not all) C5 will use the later cambelt set up with a floating crank sprocket. On these you shouldn't really remove the crank pulley without first locking the timing, and this will entail the use of a ring gear locking tool to allow the bolt to be undone.
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I must have been fortunate with mine then :? I used the paint spot procedure.

Peter
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

If you have a noise around the drive belt area you could have a faulty alternator puller.

Some alternator pulleys are ratchet pulleys that will only freewheel in one direction. If the freewheel locks up it can cause noise around the aux belt area. This happened to my C5 2.2 Hdi.

I replaced the ratchet pulley and the noise went away.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.