A Good Source of LT71141...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: A Good Source of LT71141...

Post by CitroJim »

stevelp wrote:Hi. How many litres should come out of an XM?
Steve, on my XM, which is an early ES9/4HP20 one which does have a dispstick, I got 4.3 litres out when I changed it.

I didn't do anything special. Just took it for a good blast to get the gearbox oil as hot as possible. Parked on a level surface and put the suspension on high and then dropped out the oil into a slim catch tray...

Just over four litres is a pretty good average for what normally drops out of an HP20.

I'd pop just over four litres back in and then do the level checks. Do you have the full procedure for doing the dispstickless level checks? If not, PM me with your email address and I'll send you a PDF...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
furriegurrie

Post by furriegurrie »

There is a Citroën dealer here in The Netherlands who can flush the automatic gearboxes from more recent Citroëns (Xm, C5, C6) They do use the cooler to connect the flushing machine to the gearbox. To do this they remove the 2 bolts that secure the cooller to the engine and replace them with 2 specially made plugs that connect to the flushing machine. The gearbox pumps the old oil out and new oil is being fed to the box (same amount out and in). They continue until the oil that comes out is clean. After that they will leave it running for a while with the new oil being led through a filter to catch any dirt that absorbed by the new oil. They do this as a service for a reasonable price (around 300-350 euro's if I recall correctly).
After this your box will have no old oil left, but only fresh oil. The only thing that they obviously can't clean is this way is the filter of the 4HP20 box as this requires splitting the box. They use the official method to make sure the oil level is correct once the cleaning cycle has completed.

I've had this done to my box, but my results weren't as good as others have had. Main reason for this is that my car already did well over 200.000 kilometers and most likely the gearbox oil was never changed in this period. Their advise is to flush every 60 or 80K kilometers or so to keep the oil clean.
My box failed 10 to 15 K later anyway, but it would probably have failed earlier if I wouldn't have had it flushed. People with newer gearboxes have great results with the box being very smooth again and behaving like new.
I'm at the point where I'll try to overhaul my gearbox my self and probably will put this flush in my "regular maintenance schedule" afterwards. I'm not sure if they do this in the UK yet as there do not seem to be many who can perform this service....

edit: The garage is:
http://www.oldenhage.com/garage-johan-o ... k-spoelen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and much can be read about this in the following topic on the Dutch C5 forum:
http://www.c5club.nl/c5forum/viewtopic.php?p=373857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

furriegurrie wrote: edit: The garage is:
http://www.oldenhage.com/garage-johan-o ... k-spoelen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and much can be read about this in the following topic on the Dutch C5 forum:
http://www.c5club.nl/c5forum/viewtopic.php?p=373857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I actually stumbled across that video a few days ago, looks rather interesting. However I wouldn't say the cost is all *that* reasonable even at €275 which they state on their site as the from price.

Anywho, has anyone got any recommendations for what kind of filter to use? (I know Simon and Jim opted to not use one, but knowing my luck something will probably drop in!)

They seem to suggest a fine mesh gauze, but I really can't find anything suitable (think the minimum spacing of the gauze I could find is 2mm, can't remember the exact spec but I think it was 0.something mm)

Was thinking (as per this thread) about coffee filter paper, but not sure if it's permeable enough for the oil?
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Got some perspective for my previous pic, with my G7, figured one with more stuff in the pic would be better:

Also checked my toolkit.. Looks like I need to get an 8mm hex for it to go on my ratchet...
It does also look like there's some wear around the edges as if it may have been removed before.... or could just be corrosion I guess?
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

CitroJim wrote:
Ben82 wrote:How long does it generally take to fill it with ~4l?
About 20 minutes Ben...
I just use a normal gear box/ATF pump in the oil drum. It's only a few minutes pumping and all done.
http://www.stm.net.au/pumps/hand_pumps/ ... _with_hose" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Citroën Xantia 75th Anniversary Limited Edition