Xantia, Steering Kick

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bromptonaut
My Cars:

Xantia, Steering Kick

Post by Bromptonaut »

My 2000 HDi Xantia has developed a kick in the steering, to either left or right, only noticeable around the straight ahead position and at low speed.

Though at first it was a road surface issue but daughter borrowed it over weekens and commented too. Could see it quite clearly with her driving on plain road and loose grip on wheel. Feels like a power steering might be misbehaving.

Cannot find anything on a forum search though I suspect others will have had same.

Ideas?
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Re: Xantia, Steering Kick

Post by Johnny Cogs »

I had a similar thing on my old s1... iirc it was because the LHM was old n thin, and pretty low to boot... might yours be a bit low? If so give it a good top up and a good few lock to lock turns, check level again, top up if nescessary....
'rolls in a 1.9TD Syn-bus!'
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Most likely an out of round tyre, or a CV joint that has gone tight. Check the tyres carefully, and perhaps swap wheels back to front to see if it goes away. The UJ on the column can go tight, but this results in notchy steering rather than an active wobble. My sister had a tyre go bad on hers, and the wobble on the steering was pretty spectacular :lol:
Richard W
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

My next suggestion was going to be belt tension on the pulley, as a slow pump could also give a sluggish response, maybe? thus providing the kick in either direction?
Bromptonaut
My Cars:

Post by Bromptonaut »

Running it from lock to lock a few times seems to have eased the problem. Mention of CV joint also noted. It's also on two new driveshafts which might still be 'running in'.

I'll check the tyres tomorrow (next time I'll be with car in daylight) but I'd regard that as less probable because fault is intermittent. I've also had both bubbled and out of round tyres before. The former, at least on the rear of a BX, create a rythmic knock the latter, rears to front on a Xania, a truly frightening experience.
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

If going from lock to lock helped then I definately reckon theres air it that there system.... Ensure LHM levels are correct and run it for a good while, occasionally doing the lock to lock excercise.... Hopefully that should bleed it out...