Jerky/jumpy 1st Gear on my citroen c3 1.4 HDI sensodrive

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Moe

Jerky/jumpy 1st Gear on my citroen c3 1.4 HDI sensodrive

Post by Moe »

Hi all

I just brought a Citroen C3 in December last year.
I did not notice it then but almost every time I stop at the traffic lights or junctions such as roundabouts I get a jerky 1st gear when moving off.
All the other gears are fine just the first gear.

I understand it is a gearbox problem. I have had the car check for any faults (ODB2) but nothing no faults all is clear.

Has anyone here had a similar problem?

I am trying to find a sensodrive savvy but as I am located in Slough in Berkshire they seem to be hard to find.

Any hints or advice welcome.

Moe
charentejohn
My Cars:

Re: Jerky/jumpy 1st Gear on my citroen c3 1.4 HDI sensodrive

Post by charentejohn »

No expert on these but we have one too.
I have noticed a slight shudder on 1st and 2nd sometimes when moving off, not jerky as such just like you are strting in too high a gear. All other gears ok.

Also noticed a tendency to 'crash around' in 1st and 2nd if I 'wrong foot' it on tight bends on a slope. There are a couple round here.
This is where I go slowly round the corner and then accelerate, it acts like it is flat out in 1st then quickly into 2nd.
This is worked around by either shifting to 1st using the paddle before entering the corner (stops 1st then back to 2nd quick change) or just sweep wide on the corner and keep the speed up so it stays in 2nd.

Maybe this is what you are describing ? If not let us know and somebody may have other ideas.
I really like these gearboxes but they can do some funny things, then again normal auto boxes can do the same.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
Moe

Post by Moe »

Dear charentejohn

Thank you for your reply. You are right I apologise for my lack of english. I think shudder is the right word and not jerky.
Yes you are are also right it feels like I am in a higher gear when starting but actually it is 1st gear so there is nothing lower
(apart from neutral but you can't move car in neutral LOL).

I like the gearbox too as they are simple to drive that is one of the reasons why I want to get it fixed.

It is as you described if I keep the car running in 2nd gear it is fine, but when parking (especially shopping car parks) I can't park using only 2nd gear.
I need a lower gear.

Once again thank you for helping me describe the problem in clear english.

Moe
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

No problem, I would not have known english eas not your first language.
There are not many people who know the sensodrive gearbox well but people here do. I am not one of the people who know how they work, only how they act on the road.
Can you select first using thew paddles ? I sometimes do this on tight bends so it is in 1st when going round them and so no sudden change down.
I have had a couple of times when starting for the first time in the morning the car won't go into gear, but switching off and on again can cure this, also changing gear when parked seems to work better if you have your foot on the brake. Won't select reverse when parked unless my foot is on the brake.
This may be the same problem, if you stop, put your foot on the brake and select 1st it should work ? Our car ia a 1.4 petrol and seems ok in low gear.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
Moe

Post by Moe »

Dear Charentejohn

Selecting 1st gear using the paddles is not a problem using the - or + on the gear knob or under the steering wheel.

I have never had any problem with starting since I bought the car in December 2012. keeping foot on the brake does not affect the shudders.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The first thing i would do is find a garage with a Lexia & have the sensodrive & injection ECU's updated with the latest software version and then re calibrate the clutch & gearchange auctuators. This sorts out many little niggles with this gearbox.
Moe

Post by Moe »

wheeler wrote:The first thing i would do is find a garage with a Lexia & have the sensodrive & injection ECU's updated with the latest software version and then re calibrate the clutch & gearchange auctuators. This sorts out many little niggles with this gearbox.
Many thanks for the advice Wheeler.

I am trying to find a garage near me as I can't afford the citroen prices.

I am in Slough in Berkshire near the M4 (just below it).
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have not used them myself, but a friend got Cleaver Cars to maintain his BX, and he was satisfied with them;

http://www.cleavercars-reading.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I personally have no experience of them.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Moe

Post by Moe »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I have not used them myself, but a friend got Cleaver Cars to maintain his BX, and he was satisfied with them;

http://www.cleavercars-reading.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I personally have no experience of them.

Many thanks Razor5543

I will contact them and find a price.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

How bad is it? Never driven a C3 with Sensodrive, but done plenty of miles in a C5GP with EGS. It can be jerky setting off if you're too gentle with it - goes much better with a decent application of right foot. I think that gets the clutch engaged quicker, rather than slipping it (and wearing it out no doubt).

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto