Steering lock MK1 Xantia easy fit? Its an MOT fail now

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reanimation
My Cars: Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI Desire
Xantia ph1 1.9d (sadly gone forever)

Steering lock MK1 Xantia easy fit? Its an MOT fail now

Post by reanimation »

My 1994 Xantia Lx 1.9D had a break in a few years ago, bent the door and busted the lock but didn't take it.

Last year a broken steering lock became an MOT fail for some reason! At first in March the tester failed it but we then looked at legislation and realised it that it wasn't current yet. I think it came in June last year. So this year (apart from fixing clutch issue I've documented here before) I want to check everything else it's going to fail on. Is it hard to fit a steering lock or expensive? some guys here have spares... is it a full lock barrel and key?
I'll either fit it myself before it goes to garage or give it to them to fit if it fails....

Thank you :)

I promise I post back when my damn car is fixed! Really don't want to scrap it! fingers crossed
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: Steering lock MK1 Xantia easy fit? Its an MOT fail now

Post by Ben82 »

Looks like you may have two workarounds from reading here.
Seems it applies to post-September 2001 cars... and also:
It is acceptable for a steering lock to be removed if it has been replaced with another immobilisation device.
So looks like you may not need to actually replace the steering lock, and could use a different (cheaper?) immobiliser?
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
reanimation

Post by reanimation »

Ah! Many thanks, what a legend. I did wonder like many things on the MOT if it isn't fitted it can't be tested...

Brilliant, it was a new thing so hopefully 2 solid loopholes there! :)

I already have an add on removable steering lock immobiliser (prevents more opportunists!) might be in business then, after all factory locks are often pointless.

Cheers
reanimation

Post by reanimation »

From that MOT document.

Theres a little play though it turns fine.
"3.
Pull and push the steering wheel in line with the column. Check for any movement at the centre of the steering wheel
Note: Certain types of steering column (e.g. those fitted with universal joints or flexible couplings) may show some movement which is not due to excessive wear or deterioration."

Might have to see what the man says...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I suspect the MOT rule is to catch the case where the ignition switch has been replaced by another switch which is independent of the steering lock, which allows the engine to be started with the steering still locked. I looked at a car for sale once where this had been done, and the vendor admitted once that after a few drinks, he had once driven off with the steering locked and then run off the road when the wheel didn't turn.
reanimation

Post by reanimation »

^ arrgh scary!

I agree, not working isnt a big deal if its ripped/broken out of the way or stripped all teeth/catch out, what you don't want is it to work when you want to corner, especially if drunk! :P
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Probably the pin in the lock itself has sheared or the column "hole" for it is distorted. A replacement lock would fix although you could just use a stoplock or suchlike for the MOT. Leave it in the passenger footwell area and ensure they know its your "steering lock" if needed. Should not be a concern then I guess.

The one on the 205 never worked, I actually pulled the barrel out once to examine why but the pin was there but never came out so just put it back and ignored it, figuring it had been like that for years. Was not a concern then though.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG