EGR Blank - Vacuum pipe and air doser

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bradspau

EGR Blank - Vacuum pipe and air doser

Post by bradspau »

I am still investigating the cause of black smoke and poor MPG on my 2.0HDi C8 as per my previous posts. The EGR valve is now blanked off and the pipe disconnected. This seems to work fine, but hasn't done much to reduce the smoke or improve the MPG. I have found if I plug the end of the EGR vacuum pipe, it creates an audible hiss and a vaccum at idle from the butterfly valve (air doser). The air doser valve is closed at idle, but opens if you rev the engine. With the EGR vacuum pipe blocked, it also seems to stop the air doser from operating.

Is it better to plug the EGR valve vacuum pipe so the air doser operates, or leave the pipe unplugged. I can't tell any difference either way in terms of performance or economy.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: EGR Blank - Vacuum pipe and air doser

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

What is the state of the air and fuel filters? If they are not too clean, this could cause the problems you are having.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
bradspau

Post by bradspau »

Hi. Yes new air filter new fuel filter. EGR blanked off. Still black smoke, poor economy and MOT due soon :cry: :cry:
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

You should definitely plug the end of the pipe that went to the egr valve to preserve the vacuum circuit. This hiss from the butterfly valve however is not normal, maybe a leak there? It would be good to rule out the simpler stuff (relatively speaking) before worrying about timing issues or any thing more serious though. Don't suppose you can relate the start of the smoking to any particular event at all engine wise? Could be something silly (I hope!)
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.