Xantia HDI started then stopped one morning now ok ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

Xantia HDI started then stopped one morning now ok ?

Post by charentejohn »

The car is running fine but a week ago I was out and it 'coughed' once then was ok, next day I started it and it stopped within a few seconds. Did this a few times with the same result.
Started if a couple of days later and it runs ok, but didn't want to take it out without checking for problems. I am in France and if it packs up I am not allowed to just leave it for a few hours while I sort out a tow, you have to remain by a car here so it would need a garage to come, not just my neighbour and a towrope. Ok on local roads, sort of, but not on main roads.

Any ideas if this could get worse or just a one off.
Only thing I noticed over the last few months is the whirring noise when ignition is turned on, I always let this finish before starting as I assume it is the fuel pump and so wait for it to get up to pressure.
Recently this has been more of a whine than a whirr, if you see what I mean, very high pitched. So thought it could be a pump on the way out, 125k miles on the clock.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Xantia HDI started then stopped one morning now ok ?

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That does suggest that the fuel strainer in the tank might be getting blocked (or, possibly, on its way out). You might want to have a look at the strainer first, 5th post down;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=42242" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
nobbi1977

Post by nobbi1977 »

Sounds like the lift pump is dieing. Xantia ones are expensive but with a bit of time with the part numbers from GSF and EBay advanced search I found one on a shelf a lot cheaper ( NOS for a 807 if I recall)
Xantia HDI 90 1999 (Free, Thanks Dad)
Renault Grand Scenic 1.9 DCI
Renault 5 Campus (Free,Took it to the scrap yard)
Peugeot 405 SRI (I loved that car!!)
Peugeot 405 1.6 (The boat)
Peugeot 309 (My first frenchy)
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks guys, I will check the strainer tomorrow as I ran it today and it sounded ok, but it had been sitting a while.
Pumps here are about £120 which although not cheap I can live with.
The pump sounded normal today, no high pitched whine, so I hope just blocked strainer, good days / bad days, as filter was changed recently so maybe big lumps blocking the strainer.
We shall see.......... :-D
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Just a note to say what I found when ai removed the fuel pump, filter, strainer on the Xantia.
This is a 2002 model Xanta 2 just in case there is a difference, seeme some other versions have a different fitting system ?

So, uner the right side rear seat (tilt it forward) is a large rubber cover, uner the carpet and a plastic trim at the front below the seat which just levers off.
Once removed I had an electrical connection to the pump, held by a wire clip that just levers out, and two inlet outlet connectors.
The inlet outlet are different sizes and held by internal clips (press the pipe near the end to release). Onlt a little diesel is spilled when removed.
The pump etc is held by a large plastic ring, can be tight as plastic on plastic. I made a removal tool of a piece of angle iron with bolts in it which were spaced so as to lock into the many ridges on the ring, came off easily.
Once all undone remove the pump, in a large plastic 'can', careful of the fuel level float.
The pump has an arrow on it to show position, all slotted so can really only go back one way.

Once out the outer plastic 'can' is held by 3 clips, just push them in to release, and the float has 2 clips, also push in to release.
There is a return pipe down the side of the 'can' which can be released at the bottom by prising it off (I used a heat gun, not blowtorch, to warm it).
Once off the can can be cleaned, also the mesh filer, in my case pretty clean as was the tank.
Bottom of the 'can' contains a return 'nozzle' and the inlet side has a spring loaded flap, worth checking it works.

When replacing it the 'can also has two rods to allow it to slide up towords the top of the pump cover, I guess the pump rests on the bottom of the tank under slight pressure of the spring on one of the rods.
Tightening the platic ring is ok but the pump assembly pushes upwards due to the spring so be sure it is fully down. If you press the pump cover and it moves then it still needs tightening.

Hope this helps, never easy to describe these things. Not a big job about 30 mins to remove and refit if all goes well and you use a removal tool.