2.2 vacuum circuit simplify?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

2.2 vacuum circuit simplify?

Post by Monkeyfeet »

I occasionally get the asp/anti pollution fault (usually only when heavy with the right boot) and having replaced the swirl valve actuator last year (broken ball joint, rubber diaphragm A1 condition despite mileage) I put it down to a leak in the tubing somewhere. Now, as this car is 10 years old I can forgive some tubing perishing / splitting and I'll buy some replacement and fit it. BUT I'm thinking of ditching a lot of it too. I''ve already disabled the egr, so that loop can go. FAP went at the same time so that's two more circuits that could go ((inter-cooler bypass when doing a regen cycle valves).
Now, of course I have some questions. Has anyone done this? Any pitfalls that I haven't considered?
I'd like to ditch the E/V 's too, if the ecu objects maybe fit a suitable resistor to simulate the E/V coils
Apart from ripping out the butterfly valves in the bypass circuit it is all pretty much reversible.

Anyway here's a diagram I've borrowed (thanks to original poster), crosses near vac pump and servo represent t-pieces to be removed (E/V's 1,4+10 circuits):

XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
waynedance

Re: 2.2 vacuum circuit simplify?

Post by waynedance »

Is there any more of that diagram showing what each item is?
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

I haven't got the legend for it but I reckon I could make a fair stab at most of the trickier items; 1,2,4, 8 + 10 being the electro valves, disc, top middle the brake servo, 21 an intake press sensor, 23 the swirl valves, 20+25 egr and intake hose heating resp, down to 18 air intake, 17 probably the MAF, 16/15/14 the turbo in/ out, 9 exhaust to turbo and 13 exhaust out.

Maybe the arrow above the intercooler is the wrong way round, air enters lower end from turbo and exits towrds engine block shown in middle of picture.

I had to have it printed out to actually write on to make sense of it!
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Just recently had a replacement engine and after fitting the engine would not rev under load. A chap took off all the vac pipes and spent 10 mins of me revving the engine now and again to determine where the pipes should go. Not sure what he done but car now seems to run fine, would have been nice to have a diagram to confirm they were correct.
Volvo S80 D5.........
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Well today I fitted the blanking plate to the egr / intake manifold. I know that even though I'ves disabled the egr, it could still have been leaky, so no more worries about that anymore.
I also ditched about 4ft of vacumm piping (blanked off the vac supply at the brake servo) so less possible leak points to worry about. Whilst doing this I followed the piping so as to draw up a diagram for ripping out the other bits in due course. I came across the electro valve (solenoid) for the intercooler bypass. It seemed that input and output might be swapped. It doesn't matter too much 'cos that's how the car's been running for a few years now but I want to get everything straight before pulling bits off in case I run into any probs later. (I think this will only will matter if the o/p is vented when not used)
I think vacuum input should go to the centre connector, output to the one on the edge but it appears this one is wrong compared with the others - can anyone with this motor advise please?

Left pipe currently goes to vacuum supply. Right pipe (red tape) to manifold butterfly valve
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

This might help you... everything you wanted to know about the Bosch edc152 injection system ... including electrovalves

http://ftp.psyborg.rpg.pl/hdi/Citroen%2 ... Filter.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Thanks Chris, that's a pretty good starter for ten I think. Had a very quick shufty through and there's the original of my earlier diag, on P17. everything I wanted to know?
I think that you may be right........
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

Glad to be of service :-)
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Well the car's been running well since egr blank-off, next up wil be the intercooler bypass valves and associated gubbins. However I'd like to ask any 2.0 110 owners if their engines have a bypass circuit around the intercooler? As there's no FAP it would only serve to warm up intake air on cold days etc. I've read that the 2.2 does this, but I'm sure it could manage without. (2 more e/v's, actuators, and a lot of tubing to go)
ps Thanks again Chris, that doc answered my question re e/v conections (centre is INLET for reference)
Waynedance - The document does have the complete legend if you still need it.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Monkeyfeet wrote:Well the car's been running well since egr blank-off, next up wil be the intercooler bypass valves and associated gubbins. However I'd like to ask any 2.0 110 owners if their engines have a bypass circuit around the intercooler? As there's no FAP it would only serve to warm up intake air on cold days etc. I've read that the 2.2 does this, but I'm sure it could manage without. (2 more e/v's, actuators, and a lot of tubing to go)
ps Thanks again Chris, that doc answered my question re e/v conections (centre is INLET for reference)
Waynedance - The document does have the complete legend if you still need it.
I looked at the document and lots of good information, thank you.

Just got to check all the pipes are going to correct valves, need to see another 2.2 C5 really.
Volvo S80 D5.........
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

I can give you some pointers in the meantime - You'll have to take off the silver engine covers and the black one, adjacent to bulkhead passenger side to compare / check anyway.
Swirl valve - easy, just make sure the lever moves away from bulkhead at 2100rpm+ (e/v is hidden away a bit, rhs side near top of block)

Intercooler bypass (lower intake pipe) E/V side of airbox. Can't mix up the wiring here.

Turbo / egr / inlet manifold (upper pipe) e/v's are under that black cover.
Turbo e/v is on rhs on it's own.
Egr e/v is upper one of the two mounted together.
Inlet manifold is the lower of these two.

Whilst checking these make sure vac supply goes to middle connector on each e/v
You'll really need a notepad + small torch to help but it's not too hard to do a check on all of them.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Great stuff this is what I needed to know.

I know the turbo one goes to a valve under the black cover which is I think on the right top side. The egr is that the one at back of engine which is above turbo and like a round metal dish thing. Not sure on the inlet manifold, where is that?
The swirl flap opens at approx 2100 revs so must be fine, all other ones look fine like at side of air box and the 2 located at the inlet.
Volvo S80 D5.........
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Glad to be able to help :)
If you follow one of the pipes from the air box mounted e/v (in the picture) - it will go to a butterfly valve actuator, on the hose that bypasses the intercooler. Bear with me, it's easier to see than it is to decribe!
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

All checked and all in correct places and car running great.

Thanks for all help.
Volvo S80 D5.........
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Another 2.2 running as it should, I'm happy!