1.9 td Xantia with aircon: Auxiliary belt issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Geoff Lebowski

Re: 1.9 td Xantia with aircon: Auxiliary belt issue

Post by Geoff Lebowski »

[url= 1.9 TD Aux Belt

Hi Ed,

Of the two brackets I've sent you, those tensioners are by no means new! Both have done at least 100k. I don't recall them leaning in any way but then I wasn't really looking. I suspect you can guage play by having a wiggle.

Oh wait, you bought a new one didn't you?

Damn, I could of pressed that tube out for you mate, although hopefully your mate with the workshop can press that out for you. I have to say Ed that I don't know an awful lot about these tensioners, I've never had one fail so I've never had to work on one.
What I can say though is to keep an eye on the pulley bolted on the crankshaft. It will have a rubber layer in between the two metal parts. These can become separated and it'll be likely the rubber bit will find it's way onto your timing belt - like it did on my Xantia!
ed4ferrets
My Cars:

Post by ed4ferrets »

Cheers Geoff

excuse my ignorance of things mechanical but does the tube come as part of the tensioner when new or is it a separate part fitted into the cast bracket?

the crank pulley was fitted new mate and is in good nick.. i did however find a bit of the mangled belt under the timing belt cover!
Ed

'63 Renault Caravelle - stored
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Estate - matrix done:))
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ed4ferrets wrote:Cheers Geoff

excuse my ignorance of things mechanical but does the tube come as part of the tensioner when new or is it a separate part fitted into the cast bracket?
it comes already installed in the tensioner
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
ed4ferrets
My Cars:

Post by ed4ferrets »

thanks Malcolm, was wondering as it was so firmly fixed in the casting that it broke when an attempt was made to remove it :roll:
it did look pristine though, as do the rollers in the tensioner :? not even 10k from fitting new!
Ed

'63 Renault Caravelle - stored
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Estate - matrix done:))