oil leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

oil leak

Post by froggy »

Hi just seen oil leak on my beloved Xantia, anybody know which seal it is , so I can order one, cheers Terry.Image
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
froggy
Donor 2023

Re: oil leak

Post by froggy »

sorry guys , its upside down! thanks in advance :oops:
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Could be weepage from the cam cover's rubber sealing gasket - they do go hard with age. Has it been disturbed recently?

Unlikely alternative would be the aluminium inlet pipe where it bolts to the inlet manifold - not so easy to see with your upside down photo :-D I think the oil's in the wrong place for that though.

Another oil leak source can be the cam cover breather - a short 1" elbow in rubber hose, connecting to the oil filler. This also hardens with age, and I've known one to split on the underside, where it's very difficult to see
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Despite being upside down I recognised it Terry!

There's an O ring behind the oily flange... Part Number 0345 90

Are you content that it's not oil seeping down from the rubber coupling just above it and it's definitely weeping from the flange?

And, as Martin says - cam cover gasket...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

CitroJim wrote:There's an O ring behind the oily flange
My TD has a plain flange. When I removed it recently, I found residual traces of a clear varnishey type sealant. Cleaned it up and re-assembled with blue Hylomar
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good point Martin. Service.Citroen shows two intake stubs. One with an O ring and one apparently with no gasket at all...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

Yes , mines the same, it seems to be a clear sealant. cleaned it up, reassembled, fingers crossed! yes the one inch breather pipe looks dodgy, feels rock hard, is this a Citroen only part? thanks again for all your help, Terry . :-D
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

froggy wrote:breather pipe looks dodgy, feels rock hard, is this a Citroen only part?
Terry, if you mean the one that goes from the cam cover down to the oil filler pot than yes it is. It's called an oil vapor (sic) hose and is available only from stealers under the part no. 1180 86. They're not expensive.

Be careful as yours will be OK as long as it's not disturbed. Try to remove it and it'll crack terribly...
Jim

froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

many thanks again Jim.
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC