Yet another key replacement question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MonkeyMark

Yet another key replacement question

Post by MonkeyMark »

Sorry for all the questions guys, I'm still new to all this Citroën stuff.

Anyway. My car came with one normal key and one remote fob key, which is falling apart.

After Reading other threads about second hand keys I wonder if a second hand fob can be programmed (transponder and rf remote) to a C8? Then just get a new blade cut.

If not, is there anything in particular I need to know when looking for a new one i.e. Different models having different transponders or anything like that? I'd like a key that's not falling to bits but don't fancy paying main stealer prices!

Thanks for all the help so far guys, greatly appreciated.
Happy(ish) C8 owner.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Yet another key replacement question

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When you say the remote is falling apart, how do you mean? It is possible to buy a casing for it that won't break the bank;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-1007- ... 2a1e2fe00a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
MonkeyMark

Post by MonkeyMark »

Well it's one of the funny oval snapped ones and I don't see many of them and I doubt the pcb inside would fit into a rectangular fob. I'd also like to have a second one just in case.

Plus you gotta admit the newer fobs, like the one you linked to, look much nicer!

EDIT:
mine is a 2 button remote. Would a 3 or 4 button one work? Could the extra buttons be programmed to do anything like turn lights on or something? Not bothered about that though.
Happy(ish) C8 owner.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Do you mean like this one?;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-807-C ... 257adce768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These might be useful;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-ULYSSE-P ... 20cf24be94" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-807-C ... 257adcfe8f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do not know if the extra buttons could be programmed, or if it is the receiver circuit that allows access to the extra functions.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 22 Feb 2013, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
MonkeyMark

Post by MonkeyMark »

Yep, just like that one. Which us why I wondered if they can be programmed to different cars.

I remember doing thus with my vectra. They could not be programmed to a new car, but you also had to get the right transponder and pcb as there were several of each.
Happy(ish) C8 owner.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I will not swear to this (might swear AT this), but, using a Lexia, it MIGHT be possible to introduce a new key (with transponder chip) to your car. From what I have read on this forum, the car can be programmed to recognise more keys, but ALL the keys (old and new) have to be introduced in the same session, as any that are not are "forgotten".

The C8, 807, and Uylsse are basically the same vehicle, which is why the keys might be interchangeable.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

MonkeyMark wrote:Yep, just like that one. Which us why I wondered if they can be programmed to different cars.

I remember doing thus with my vectra. They could not be programmed to a new car, but you also had to get the right transponder and pcb as there were several of each.
Don't even bother trying a 2nd hand key fob to program to your car, in all likelyhood you will not get it working. deano1970 tried it with his C5, spent I think about £10 on a 2nd fob that they could not get working, think he also tried a known working one (that was paired to another car) too without any luck.

You could potentially just get a 2nd hand fob to replace the gubbins inside with the one from your one that is falling apart.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
MonkeyMark

Post by MonkeyMark »

Right. I'm looking to get a lexia in a month or so, so I'll keep an eye out for a cheap key to try it with first.
I'll have to find instructions for the programming of them (anyone have any?).

Anyone tried 2nd hand keys on a c8? Mind you, the new ones don't seem too bad a price so long as I'm looking at the right ones.

Still wouldn't mind knowing if extra buttons can be programmed too.
Happy(ish) C8 owner.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would suggest having a look through your cars' handbook to see if the section on the keys cover the extra buttons (assuming the manual is the one for your model of car, and not a later varient). If it does, then it MIGHT (only might, mind you) be capable of recognising the extra radio signals from the keyfob. If it doesn't, then it probably won't.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+