ZX Heater Matrix?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndyGimpy
My Cars:

ZX Heater Matrix?

Post by AndyGimpy »

Well its that time of year when you just start to add a touch of heat to the inside of the car and this morning when I turned it on there was that horrible antifreeze smell coming from the vents. No noticeble steam and no loss of water in the header tank. The carpet is dry so I am assuming the matrix is just starting to weep!. Now I have been told this is a big job and involves removal of the complete dashboard. Does anyone have any good tips or shortcuts I can take as any help would be appreciated.[V]
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Mines been like this for years. Ive been putting up with it becuase the smell begins fade after a couple of minutes.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Mines like that too.
Its only been in the car for 123,000 miles. (!)
Until it starts losing coolant, best to leave it. Some people recommend a cooling system sealant by Forte which can help with a slightly porous matrix.
AndyGimpy
My Cars:

Post by AndyGimpy »

I MUST ADMIT IT WAS LIKE IT ALL LAST YEAR AND NOTHING HAS CHANGED MUCH, I HAD FORGOTTEN ABOUT IT UNTILL THIS MORNING, BEST GET A NEW AIR FRESHNER THEN FOR NOW. THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, I did the matrix on my Xantia and followed the Haynes manual. Not too hard of a job really! One tip though, make sure you have a set ot long reach sockets as you may need them to release the dashboard from the bulkhead.
Good luck
Paul
PS It took me a day to do the whole job, from strat to finish.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

How healthy is it to be breathing concentrated antifreeze vapours is such a confined space, if it were leaking I would replace it for that reason alone if necessary.
Dave
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Wasn't there a scandal a few years ago when wine producers were adding glycol to wine to improve the taste?
Seem to remeber some shock horror health claims - but don't think anyone became ill!
jeremy
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Doubt there would be any health risk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!