Saxo Rear Fog Light - now sorted - short found!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

redsaxo

Saxo Rear Fog Light - now sorted - short found!

Post by redsaxo »

I posted here about a week or so ago as I have a problem with the rear foglights on my S reg Saxo.

Initially the lights were not working - this I found was because no bulbs were fitted!

Fitted bulbs only to find that the rear fog lights are now on whenever the ignition is swiched on!

Obtained replacement stalk/switch - same problem!

I then found that the rear fog light fuse was missing from the fuse box - even the though the rear fogs were on when the ignition is on ??????? (How can this be?)

Anyway, now thinking that the fault is with the relay - if there is a relay that is; the Haynes manual only refers to a front fog relay but I only have rear fogs?!

So, can anyone tell me whether there is a relay for the rear fogs, which one/where it is, and if that's likely to be the fault?

Many thanks - as before any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers
Last edited by redsaxo on 09 Mar 2013, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Saxo Rear Fog Light - an update & further help needed pl

Post by spider »

How old is the car ?

You do have a relay for the rears, they should only operate with the lights on and not with main beam in most cases either (rear fog)

On 106 its Fuse 11 (5A) for the rear fogs, may be the same for Saxo not 100% sure. Relay is usually blue (I think) it will be in the fusebox in the passenger compartment. Cannot be 100% sure which one it is however there's not many in there.

With the ignition on and the headlights on dip (without engine running) turning the foglight on / off you should hear a click from the relay if its still alive. Don't hang around too long like this as you'll run your battery down.

You may have someone who has done some wiring mod if they worked without the fuse present, examine fusebox wiring plugs for signs of someone playing.

It could be an earthing concern too but I'd expect other things to be going amiss / acting up if it was that.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
redsaxo

Post by redsaxo »

Thanks Andy - the car is S reg so 1999 - will investigate further tomorrow.
MonkeyMark

Post by MonkeyMark »

If the bulb/s were missing that would say to me that the previous knew if the fault.
If it works while the fuse is out it sounds like someone has played with the wiring. Perhaps running them off a switch hidden under dash? ( I know someone who did this)
Happy(ish) C8 owner.
407iain

Post by 407iain »

Has it had horrid aftermarket light clusters on it and someone has bodged the wiring up. As ones like the lexus style often don't have reflectors and fogs.

Sent from my LT901 using Tapatalk 2
2011 RCZ THP 200 GT
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Andy are you sure the rear fogs go through a relay as each one is only 21w, also it might only have an O/S fog lamp present from the factory, as some smaller car only do have the O/S functioning

maybe someone has attempted to wire in daytime running lights, using the rear fogs,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

There's no relay in the Saxo rear fog lights circuit. The Saxo normally only has an o/s rear fog light but you can break off the blank in the n/s light cluster & fit a bulb & it works straight away without any additional wiring.
redsaxo

Post by redsaxo »

Interesting replies - thanks. As the rear fogs work without the fuse I'm beginning to think that someone has added some extra wiring - will have a rummage around tomorrow and see what I can find.

As for the rear light units, they are the standard Peugeot items.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

AM surprised to learn there is no relay, I wonder what I saw on the diagram then hmm. Would not think the switch would be up to it then again only a single light bulb fitted. I wonder if a relay was fitted for cases where two were designed to be fitted.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
redsaxo

Post by redsaxo »

Just thought that I'd post an update as I've now had the opportunity to spend some time on this problem.

Having ascertained that the fault must lay in the wiring (all other options exhausted) I decided that the only option was to remove the seats and carpet to examine the loom.

This is what I found under the front passenger seat:
The grey wire is the foglight feed, the blue I havent identified but is obviously for something that is live when the ignition is on (wire number 1429 if anyone can identify it?). Anyway, this short explains why the foglights were always on when the ignition was on even though the fuse for the foglight had blown.

I have now repaired the wiring (and also the lesser damage to the other blue and the yellow cable in the picture) and all now works as it should.

All I've got to do now is replace the carpet and seats.

So thanks again for all your earlier help and suggestions - I'm sure I'll be back soon though for further help and advice.

Cheers

:)