Dispatch 1.9d Poor MPG

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

burgie

Re: Dispatch 1.9d Poor MPG

Post by burgie »

Well, I took the van back to the mechanic last Friday.

He stated that there was absolutely nothing he could do as the van has an ecu and that controls everything......

After a little cohersion, he reluctantly agreed to re-connect everything that had been disconnected, with the excetion of the solenoid that controls the butterfly as I had already re-connected that and found it to be faulty, i.e., when connected I had flat spots throughout the rev-range and enough black smoke to warrant night vision goggles.

He re-connected everything and left the choke/cold start cable tie-wrapped wide open so the engine was revving itself to death.

upon getting it home, I took the time to remove the tiewrap from the cold start cable, and adjust the screw clamp at the end of the cable to a position that made sense to me.

Now, having run another £50 worth of diesel through it, the mpg appears to be back around the 38mpg mark, i.e. where it was when I took it in for the heater plugs & leak pipes to be fitted!

I need to find another mechanic I think - this one really seems to know his onions and is proper "old school" in his approach, which initially I found reassuring but as you can guess, I am now not so keen on. Problem is, he is well respected in the trade - a couple of garages I have spoken to also speak very highly of him too, so art of me thinks it might be daft going elsewhere. I should just respectfully request he does nothing other than what is needed for the job in hand in the future.

Anyway, many thanks for all your help and information.
bill196510
My Cars:

Re: Dispatch 1.9d Poor MPG

Post by bill196510 »

Well done, lol.thought reconnecting the stuff the brainless mechaniic had dissconnected :P:P:P would sort it.
C5 2.2 hdi 2003, called it oliver reed, drinks like him :(
Good on fuel now, lol.