C5 Oil Level Indicator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dircon

C5 Oil Level Indicator

Post by Dircon »

I have recently purchased a 2001 C5 Exclusive SE V6 Auto.

I have just noticed that the Dashboard Oil Level Indicator is showing a line of Flashing --------.

The Car's Manual illustrates this Display as also showing the words Min and Max. However, I just see the Oil Symbol and the Flashing line of Dashes.

The Dip Stick is tricky to read but, the level seems to be ok.

I have heard that the Flashing Dashes are used for both Under & Over Filled. However, the Manual seems to indicate that the Flashing means a problem with the Gauge.

Any ideas?

Any info' appreciated.

Paul
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: C5 Oil Level Indicator

Post by Ben82 »

Why is the dipstick tricky to read?
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

On my Xsara and the wife's 807 (which both have a similar display as you have) a row of O's on the display indicating full is anything over 3/4 of the way up between the dipstick min and max marks. Similarly one O and the rest _'s on the display is still over 1/4 of the way up the dipstick. I don't think I've ever got down to all _'s so I don't know if they flash but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

So, where is the level on your dipstick? If it's anywhere near the min mark I'd recommend you top it up to see if it changes the dash display.

EDIT: Just read the wife's handbook and I see what you mean about the max and min words on the display. Even with no oil you should still see the word Min. So probably a faulty level sender or connection then.
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

never trust the dash indicator use the dipstick. the dash indicator is not to be trusted
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'm ashamed to say that I only check mine once in a blue moon.
I did used to watch it come up on every start up and confirm with the dipstick daily, then weekly, then monthly and now rarely.

Once, after the first service a couple of weeks after buying it (the first one) it showed two bubbles below max so added half a cup of oil. Which overfilled it.

I have read that the incorrect oil type can cause problems by not being correctly detected by the sensor.

If it has recently had an oil change or top-up then that may be the cause.
Otherwise I would suspect a defective sensor as long as the dipstick indicates the correct level.

Here's the description from my handbook:

Click to go to the photobucket page for full size image.
blackbeard
My Cars:

Post by blackbeard »

The reading can only be considered valid when the car is cold and on a level surface. Always, always use a dipstick to get a true oil level reading.
Sensors should be considered as a prompt at best, and should never be relied on. Relying on sensors instead of manual checks is inviting trouble.
By the way, using the dipstick also allows you to check the oil colour - a great warning for all sorts of issues for those with a bit of knowledge, and something the sensor can never do.
Current French machine:
2002 Citroen C5 2.0 16v Automatic (petrol)

Previous French machines (all auction finds):
2000 Citroen Xantia 1.8 16v (petrol)
1999 Peugeot 206 'Roland-Garos'
1998 Renault Laguna 1.8 8v (petrol)
1992 Renault 21 2.0 8v (petrol saloon)
Dircon

Post by Dircon »

Ben82: The Dipstick tends not to have a clear level. Higher on one side than the other. Not always the same level twice etc.

miked: Dipstick Level seems to be approx' on Max. Poss' a little over.
I have seen it stated on another forum that, (although the Car's Manual states that it Only Flashes Minus for a Fault or Low Oil Level), it in fact also displays this for a level which is Overfilled.

Oneday, myglaren, blackbeard: Thanks guys.