C5 Sphere replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jookul

C5 Sphere replacement

Post by jookul »

Hi Guys

Can you help me out I am seeing some conflicting information on how to replace the Spheres on my C5 2.o HDI Estate. Some people say have the suspenon at max abd crack open the seal. The haynes says de-pressurise everything fist. I am of course looking for the easiest method that will not involve any bleeding of the system

Also can anybody tell me where to get comfort spheres at a good price and also a possible tool to undo the sphere

any help would be appericated
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: C5 Sphere replacement

Post by Peter.N. »

Sphere removal tool: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-XANTI ... 19d8ad2da7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have one of these it works well. You will need to specify that its for a C5 as the spheres are bigger.

You set the suspension to its lowest, then you have to depresurise the system. You will need a length of plastic pipe and a container. For the front there is a bleed screw almost on the bulkhead below the sphere, there will be quite a fluid loss so what I did was to take the cap of the tank and put the pipe into it, then do the bleed screw, make sure everything is clean first, when the fluid stops flowing you can undo the sphere, you may find a blow on the handle from a soft hammer will persuade it.

I can't remember where the bleed screw for the rear is as I haven't done mine yet but having looked at the front one you should be able to recognise it. You will need a clean container for the rear - unless you have a very long tube.

Peter
jookul

Post by jookul »

Thansk Peter for getting back to me.
With the tool when you tighten the bolt on it will it damage the sphere and then again for tightening the new ones. Also how tight would you tighten the bolt so that the tool doesn't slip
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

It is useful to keep the system pressurised until you've just cracked the joint, otherwise the whole strut will turn and break the feed pipes if you're not careful.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

No, it needs to be tight and you wont damage the sphere its quite thick. When you refit only tighten hand tight, otherwise you will have difficulty in getting them off again.

Peter
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Defo need to crack the spheres free with the pressure in as said by dnsey, also the Citroen official tool is rubbish, I have one and it rarely removes the spheres as they are very tight. I have a massive chain wrench that could turn lampposts around :) that always gets them off.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I have a chain wrench made of motorcycle chain, works a treat on XM spheres but not on C5 ones I'm afraid, the centre is to narrow.

Peter
jookul

Post by jookul »

I've read about keeping the system pressurized to crack open the spheres on the xantia, but must you do the same for the c5
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The front ones come off OK without pressure but I think the rears may need it, you should still have enough pressure with the suspension on low before you bleed it.

Peter
jookul

Post by jookul »

hi guys

thanks for all the info. so the next question is when i have replaced them do i need to pressurize the system as part of the bleeding procedure, as mentioned in the Haynes manual or can i just top it up
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

No, just start up and it will sort itself out.

Peter