BERLINGO 1.9D(WJZ) FUEL PUMP QUESTION

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gennyman
New User

BERLINGO 1.9D(WJZ) FUEL PUMP QUESTION

Post by gennyman »

Hello chaps, new here hope someone can help. I am about to replace my blown engine (cambelt snapped) with a second hand unit. I have heard a rumour that I need to use my original engine fuel pump on the second hand one as the pump is coded to the key. Can anyone tell me if this is true or just scaremongering as if I need too swap I will do iy before I drop the replacement in. The second hand one has a pump on it and Ive heard it driving so if I can leave it it would make my life easier. Thanks very much. Alan
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: BERLINGO 1.9D(WJZ) FUEL PUMP QUESTION

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You (probably) will need to transfer the pump, as the solenoid is keyed to the immobiliser. Obviously the immobiliser is keyed to the key. However, I would wait for somebody with a lot more knowledge to confirm this (I am remembering it from something I read on this forum).

PS Welcome to the Forum. I hope (know, probably) that you will find it useful. I have.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

You need to transfer the pump from your old engine *and* the injector pipes too.

Reason being for the pipes the earlier ones were slightly different and it won't run as it will attempt to deliver fuel in the wrong order. The changeover of pump types was about 1999. Earlier ones did not have an ECU for the pump, later ones did (electronic advance) both have the immobiliser however.

You have several choices:

Swap your pump and pipes over to the replacement engine. Probably the easy method.

or

Dearmour the pump on the new engine (will have to come off probably in most cases to do this) and do away with immobiliser. If doing this be aware you may need to hunt down a solenoid depending on the type you have fitted internally already.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
gennyman
New User

Post by gennyman »

Thanks Andy, brill answer, Have changed pump, ready to drop s/hand engine in but didnt swap pipes so will do that as well. Many thanks, appreciated
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

You're welcome.

Pipes are one of these things that catches people out (me too!) as it was only due to a post on here about a pump swap that the pipework was identified as the cause for the non start. If the engine was from about the same year or more accurately say post 99 / 2000 it probably would not need them but if you have them already its safer to just fit them if they are in good condition.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG