Berlingo speedo not working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

leffelou
New User

Berlingo speedo not working

Post by leffelou »

Hi everyone, I have a 2006 Berlingo van 1.9 DW8. I was driving along the motorway and the speedo stopped working. For the previous twenty minutes before this happened there was an audible 'clicking' noise from behind the instrument cluster (Increasing and decreasing with speed). The mileometer/ trip meter also no longer records, though it is still illuminated.
This was two weeks ago and it hasn't once attempted to spring back into life so I need to start getting things sorted now - I know Berlingos suffer speedo sensor faults but before I start spending money trying to blindly solve the fault, what relavence did the noise behind the cluster have? I am thinking that there is possibly a fault with the head unit itself rather than the speedo sensor that is located on the bellhousing ... a long way from the instrument cluster that started making such a racket !
Are Berlingo speedo heads known for failing?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Berlingo speedo not working

Post by spider »

Not that I am aware of.

The noises behind the panel indicate the motor (or meter it may be) itself in the panel maybe at fault then at a guess. Noises indicate unintentional contact.

Problem here is at this year if you change the panel it will start to add mileage already present (its stored in both panel and BSi) to the 'new' cluster as well. If this did not happen I'd suggest a scrapyard panel as a test. Summary here being you are more than likely to permanently increase the miles recorded possibly by a substantial amount.

Given the noise I'd start with the panel otherwise I'd start with the sensor.

If you know anyone with a Lexia to hand you could try to use that to check to see if there's any output or otherwise, live data etc. That would determine if the sensor was OK or not at least.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Often a failed speedo gauge is due to a failed stepper motor, however the miles/trip is still recorded when that occurs.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

did the clicking noise stop when the speedo stopped ?
I would also have thought that if the stepper motor failed the miles would still count up.