Xantia water leak fix and upgrades

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mirafioriman

Xantia water leak fix and upgrades

Post by mirafioriman »

I've had a water leak for some time and it's been getting more and more annoying.

I also bought a nice black exclusive leather interior and matching door panels last weekend :)

So started the job today. I removed the seats and carpets including the side trims and carpet in the boot.

Some pictures below:

Rear seat bases removed

All seats out

All carpets out

Water sitting in the wells below the rear seat bases

The boot sound deadening was absolutely sopping so I'm pretty sure the leak is into the boot area and it's then running down into the rear seat base area and the footwell.

I fitted one of the new door panels to the near side rear.

Before:

After:

The carpets are currently hung up inside to dry out. Next job is to locate and fix the leak.

More soon :)
Last edited by mirafioriman on 10 Feb 2013, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
Former Proud owner of a 1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9d and BX 19RD

Now driving an Alfa 159 but god I miss the Xantia!
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: Xantia water leak fix and upgrades

Post by Lighty »

Nice work, not sure on your leak though .
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

If the wetness starts from a corner of the boot, then it's caused by water getting in through the opening for the wires of the tail light.
You may see water sloshing around inside the light cluster.
Check that the light is firmly tightened and the seal in good shape.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent on the leather. It makes a lovely interior and comfy seats :-D

Does the car have a sunroof? If so, check all four drains are working by pouring coloured water into the channel with the roof open and ensuring you see four puddles under the wheel-arches. If not, the drains need to be cleared. Rear ones exit at the top of the wheel-arches and can become choked with mud.. Gentle compressed air can clear other blockages.

Sometimes the drain pipe can detach from the sunroof gutter and the easiest way to determine is this is the case is to look for damp around the grab handles. the roof lining itself is impervious but water will find a way out, often down the C pillars.

This picture shows a drain pipe that was detached and repaired with bedding mastic and a cable tie...

Another odd place for leaks on a hatch is the roofrack fixing holes. These are sealed with patches but these deteriorate over the years. They are under the rain gutters and by peeling them back you can see then holes. Fill with sealant if they are open..

This shows where they are, there's four sets of them, one above each door.

Luckily Xantias can leak badly yet suffer no rust damage to the floorpans...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I also found water gets in on sunroof cars if the Near Side Drain tube is blocked in the rear wheel arch!

Put the car on high, and up in the top corner, scrape away all the mud, and up there is the outlet for the drain.. It fills with mud nautrally from the wheel, give it a poke to free the trapped water like I did and got an arm full of water..

This stopped the water inlet on a Blue SX TD I got here to sell...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

The roof rack mountings are already sealed up so it can't be them. Had a little rain last night but it's still bone dry at the moment. As the boot sound deadening was so wet I'm guessing it must be coming in at the rear somewhere as water can't travel upwards and the boot floor is much higher than below the rear seat bases and the rear footwell.

lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

is it an estate if it is its the tailgate membrane leaking, had it on mine, have a look on here http://www.attfield.dircon.co.uk/xantia.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3rd one down on left and it tells you how to fix it
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

its his white one as shown in has Avitar Picture below his user name..

Id go with rear light lens on the hatch too...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

My BX had such a spectacular amount of water in the back after a storm that when I went around a corner I heard a waterfall behind me, looked over my shoulder and it was pouring from under the back seat into the footwell

I took all the carpets out and took it to the dealer to fix. That was the sunroof drains.

That's an interesting point about the holes for the Xantia roof rack bolts. I did think they were overdoing masking to stop paint going in, but now I shall tape over them when not in use, which is 99% of the time.
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Interesting post on the estate tailgate. Mines a hatch should it not have a membrane fitted too? There does seem to be water around when you open the tailgate.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nope, no membrane in a hatch tailgate. It's designed to be leaky and there's a channel below the glass to catch the leaks and funnel them to the sides.

All the water that pours out when you open it on a wet day is totally normal. Just check that the drain holes on the sides by the sharp corner and at the bottom are all clear as moss likes to grow in them...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

It's been dry since I stripped it out until today. Snow this morning which then turned to wind and rain. There is now a small amount of water below the rear seat on the passenger side. So it definitely is leaking :roll: I'm off work now until Monday so will hopefully be able to get a proper look and see where the water is coming in at :)

Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Start by looking in the tail lenses for in case there's water sloshing around in one of them.
If so, it can be fixed in a few minutes; there are two posts about that up the thread.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Well, a little progress. There is water getting in through the rear doors as the inner door membrane is not watertight. I'm onto this and will hopefully have it fixed tomorrow. I also discovered water in the near side rear light. This is currently out and will hopefully be fixed tomorrow too. One issue though is how do I get the water out of it?! I'm not having much luck :(

Another issue is I still seem to have drips from the driver's side sunroof drain. I'm wondering if the pipe has a split or a hole in it or is leaking where it joins the sunroof tray. Looks like I will have to drop the headlining again :(

MTND
My Cars: Xantia 1.9td sx early N reg 1995. owned 17 years!
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider 2005.
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017, Nearly done 300 miles

Post by MTND »

mirafioriman wrote:

Water sitting in the wells below the rear seat bases
Jim's right about the lack of rust on the Xantia, that does look nice clean rust free white paint! :) Hope mines nice and white like yours Mirafioriman, hope you get the leak fixed [-o< :roll: :cry:

Mark
1995 Xantia 1.9 TD SX owned 17 years
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV Spider 2005
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017