Xantia Turbo CT disassembly and repair turbo

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Juliso35
My Cars:

Xantia Turbo CT disassembly and repair turbo

Post by Juliso35 »

Hi there!!

Long time without coming over here :)

Well.... The turbo of my car has started to leak a little bit of oil :cry: I think a little drop per day.

The car has 84.000 miles. My way of handling the car is very quiet. The car is still standart. It not had any modifications!!

Some friends told me that it can be repaired if it is done on time!!

Anyone know where I could get the procedure and tips for disassembling the turbo on my car?

Please ... any help or comments would be very grateful

Thank you!!
:D Image :D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia Turbo CT

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Juliso :-D Good to see you again!

That oil is very likely to be nothing at all to worry about. There's always a good amount of oil vapour inside the turbo as oil vapour is sucked in upstream of the turbo from the crankcase ventilation valve.

Often the oil you see is due to nothing more than slightly loose jubilee clips on the rubber pipes connecting to the turbo. Either can be the cause and often it's the short pipe above the turbo.

I have this exact problem on my Activa. Had it for at least two years and I guess I really ought to fix it :roll:

The chances of it indicating a very bad problem is minimal. You know if it's serious if the engine begins to smoke badly from the exhaust.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Re: Xantia Turbo CT disassembly and repair turbo

Post by Northern_Mike »

Juliso35 wrote:Hi there!!

Long time without coming over here :)

Well.... The turbo of my car has started to leak a little bit of oil :cry: I think a little drop per day.

Hi Juliso

That looks fine. It's more than likely just oil in the induction piping. Oil vapour tends to collect in the pipes and will drip out of just about anywhere it can. You might want to tighten the clip, but I'd say it's nothing to worry about.

You'll know if/when the turbo starts to fail as oil will leak past the internal seals and there will be a lot of smoke at idle. I had a Saab 900 Turbo that the turbo failed on, and idling, it would cover the car in a cloud of smoke in about a minute - it's really, really obvious when a turbo is failing. I don't think you have anything to worry about at all.
Juliso35
My Cars:

Post by Juliso35 »

Hello CitroJIm. Glad to say hello and thank you very much for your quick response.

I don't know if there may be a risk that the oil can pass to timing belt and make a joke there. :shock: On the floor of my garage this being a tiny drop of oil every day or two. I have a friend who manage a workshop here in Bogota of Skoda and says those repairs have no problem if done on time. They have such repairs very often in cars Skoda Octavia from people who usually run fast :wink:

When will you do this repair on your Activa? :)

Anyway If I try something I'll make a video. There's nothing on internet or youtube about it!! :?

Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Juliso35 wrote: When will you do this repair on your Activa? :)
One day perhaps :-D But the weather has to get warmer first :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, there is no risk of the oil getting on the cambelt. It just drips and makes a mess on the garage floor and the engine mount. About the worst it can do over a very long time is rot the rubber in the lower engine mount and make it go soft...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Juliso35
My Cars:

Post by Juliso35 »

Thank you very much to both CitroJim and Nothern_Mike

That calms me a little more!!! [-o<

Anyway I'll be watching it more frequently and consider what you tell me.
I use to have the engine always very clean to see this easily!! :)