New Xantia Rear Silencer Rattling against tow bar

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

New Xantia Rear Silencer Rattling against tow bar

Post by ecohouse1 »

I fitted a new aftermarket rear silencer and its the Estate version and its the estate silencer that arrived so that was good.

Under load eg hill starts the outlet pipe at the end of the silencer rattles against the tow bar cross member bolted to the original cross member. A mate suggested reinforcing the rubber hanger(s) with cable ties to stop flexing. Also I could remove the box and hammer the outer curved part slightly flatter - that would give more clearance. It probably only needs a few mm.

Anyone else had this and solved it? I did wonder whether the angle that the rear box to midpipe clamp joint might have something to do with it, although I had the box on all 3 hangers when I clamped it tight.

Cheers

Alan
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Re: New Xantia Rear Silencer Rattling against tow bar

Post by Old-Guy »

After-market silencers aren't made to the same tolerances as originals so your story is a common one. Big hammer time plus some fiddling around.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

ecohouse1 wrote:I fitted a new aftermarket rear silencer and its the Estate version and its the estate silencer that arrived so that was good.

Under load eg hill starts the outlet pipe at the end of the silencer rattles against the tow bar cross member bolted to the original cross member. A mate suggested reinforcing the rubber hanger(s) with cable ties to stop flexing. Also I could remove the box and hammer the outer curved part slightly flatter - that would give more clearance. It probably only needs a few mm.

Anyone else had this and solved it? I did wonder whether the angle that the rear box to midpipe clamp joint might have something to do with it, although I had the box on all 3 hangers when I clamped it tight.

Cheers

Alan
I bought an aftermarket rear box for my Activa, and had exactly the same problem - it was from a supplier in Germany. Good quality, didn't fit quite right, rattled.

A length of wood and a large hammer to bend the mounting spike things a bit and all was well again.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Had exactly this trouble with the last one. Took it off again and flattened the top of the pipe - all good now :lol: it's harder than you think to put a decent sized dent in the pipe though!!
Richard W
ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

Sorted. Interesting - the rear hanger bracket welded on the silencer was lower than the previous one. The angle it was at made it lower it again. I heated up the bracket and bent it with a lump hammer and that easily added an inch of clearance. Job done no rattles. When i compared the bracket positions on receiving the new silencer they looked the same at a glance.On closer inspection they were about an inch different in the height of the business end!!

Worth checking before fitting.

Thanks for the advice